What predator is this?

claraserena

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
1) Yesterday evening we found the foreleg of a very small deer on the front sidewalk. This morning it was gone.
2) This morning the chickens' large metal feeder had been tipped over and moved about 15 feet from where I left it.
3) A couple of days ago a 6 wk old pullet "disappeared".
4) In the last 2 months, we have caught in live traps a mink killed eleven chickens, 3 ducks), raccoon, possum, and skunk. Relocated the raccoon. Others are deceased.
5) There is a fox den on our property, about 600 feet from the coop/barn. There are also coyotes around though I haven't seen one. Chickens and ducks are secured in a barn at dusk to dawn and free-range during the day.
I would appreciate any help in figuring out what's going on and what to do about it. Thank you!

You most likely have multiples of predators you mentioned. Only thing you can do is secure your chickens in a secure run. Fox will need to eat and chickens are always a choice for them. Coyotes of course also need to eat. These are daytime threats. Raccoons are night time predators, but are quite crafty in their persistence. Opossum and skunks are less threat, but still some. They are more interested in chicken feed, and eggs, but will take chickens. If you relocate, make sure the distance is at least 3 miles or more. Shorter, and they will beat you home.
WISHING YOU BEST............... :highfive:

Before relocating check your local laws.
Relocating just gives your issue to someone else, and the animal may well return to its home.

Pretty sure we have a raccoon as the chicken feeder and wild bird seed and grape jelly have been messed with. I'm going to set a live trap tonight

Back
Top Bottom