What Predator? Only down feathers left.

keckels

Chirping
8 Years
May 30, 2011
I've just got back from my first hen loss. Lost 3 of my 5 layers. Only thing left in about a 5 ft diameter was breast or down feathers. Nothing, & I mean nothing else. Lost 3; 3 different areas as I describe. I read the article on different predators, but didn't read out this.

You are looking for something that likely carried them away. Foxes, coyotes or bobcats quickly come to mind. The feathers mean that one bird put up a bit of a fight.

Sorry for your losses.

That makes me even sadder. I have seen some BIG hawks flying around. Could that be possible?

keckels: I have seen some BIG hawks flying around. Could that be possible?

Anything is possible but not likely. With a hawk, unless your hens are bantams, then likely you would find the body. With a big hen 6-7 lbs, a hawk will eat the breast right there on the ground & it is not likely to be three in a day. It is more likely what CMV says: FOX, COYOTE or BOBCAT -- all three would tote them off and I'd bet more on FOX or COYOTE (because more likely to tote off more than one). Look for footprints if possible.​

Ok, thanks. Likely in our area coyote then. I've got a friend that makes live catch traps, so I'll set a few. I thought of the footprints "after" I had my pointing lab look for them. That may sound bad, but he actually holds point & I can go in and pick the hen up; and he's a housedog & only outside when I am, so he's not the culprit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom