What predator ripped through the chicken wire?

Blondie

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Sharpsburg, Georgia
My Coop
My Coop
A friend of mine just lost all his hens in one fell swoop. See the picture below. Whatever it was ripped a hole through the chicken wire. They live in a very rural area with lots of woods and trees around. He had about 9 chickens and they were left in 2 "neat" piles, but they were very mangled. What do you think could do this?

525_earles_coop.jpg

The fact that the birds were left points to a dog. Chicken wire can keep chickens in, but that is about all it does.

Chicken wire is useless in keeping anything out. I suggest using welded wire, hardware cloth, and/or cage wire. Costs alot more, but keeps the birds safe.

Matt

You need to invest in a live trap. I bot one big a nuf to hold a dog an keep it set all the time. I cot every thing in it i didnt no ther was so manny varmits.
It has a cage on the back for a chicken to ler thim in. Hens are hi an the time an money in feed.....I HOPE YOU GET WAT EVER IT WAS.....GOOD LUCK

Could be a number of things........ human, raccoon, bobcat, cougar, dog or black bear. I hope your friend invests in welded wire as a house cat can get into chicken wire. I am sorry for their loss.

The lady with 4 dogs and 4 city chickens

Is it just me, being a goob, or does anyone else thing that a dog would have done more damage?

Some digging... oh, that's not working... so maybe try a couple spots for weakness... nothing... THEN try to rip?
And... for that hole... well it looks like it was pulled open... if a person did it then cut open a slit, then pull apart with two hands.
For a dog to do it they'd have to GNAW through that (hence trying digging first) then pull one side, then the other back and forth until big enough.

Leastways, I figure that's how a dog would do it... and I doubt it would be that 'pretty' of a hole after all that... so I don't think dog.

I don't know much about coons, cats, etc so I can't say anything there... but I just don't see a dog doing that without human help.

I agree with the others about the trap. If it's anything other than human it should get caught.

I didn't read all the post. I don't know what kind of racoons you all have been used to, but I have never seen one kill more than one chicken at a time. the only animals I have seen do this are mink and domestic dog. I say dog or human.

besides why not to use chicken wire that is a great illustration of why I use 3 strands of electric fence wire would have stopped 99 percent of the 4 legged predaters and if the hole is there then you have a pretty good clue its the 2 legged type go to TSC and get some 17 gage wire a 20 dollar fencer and a 5 dollar bag of insulators and sleep well at nite...

Back
Top Bottom