What predator ripped through the chicken wire?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Blondie, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

A friend of mine just lost all his hens in one fell swoop. See the picture below. Whatever it was ripped a hole through the chicken wire. They live in a very rural area with lots of woods and trees around. He had about 9 chickens and they were left in 2 "neat" piles, but they were very mangled. What do you think could do this?

[​IMG]

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    raccoon?

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    A neighbor who isn't chicken friendly that wanted it to look like an animal did it? That is a nice neat hole in the fence. Otherwise, I dunno.

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    That has coon written all it! But there are others that could have done it. She needs the hardware cloth that is on the door , on the whole coop. Sorry abbout the loss

5. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

My first thought when reading was raccoon. Then I saw the photo. That is a big hole. Canine? Maybe person trying to cover their tracks.

6. TarzantheChickenMan

TarzantheChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    chickens in piles and a hole that far and that big looks like a dog to me
    sorry for your losses

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    That should be the poster picture of why people should use hardware cloth and NOT CHICKENWIRE.
    So sad!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  8. lighthawk

lighthawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Gobles MI
    Were the two piles in the corners? Sometimes a Predator chasing them in a confined space will cause the birds to pile up in the corners and pack in so tightly they will actually smother the birds beneath them.
    Watched it happen in a coop one time when I was a kid. the dog only actually got one or two birds but the majority of them were smothered.
    I'm sure your friend now knows that all chicken wire does is confine the birds and it will not stop a predator. Hard lesson to learn. Sorry for their loss.

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    The fact that the birds were left points to a dog. Chicken wire can keep chickens in, but that is about all it does.

Chicken wire is useless in keeping anything out. I suggest using welded wire, hardware cloth, and/or cage wire. Costs alot more, but keeps the birds safe.

Matt

10. lighthawk

lighthawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Gobles MI
    Quote:Whole heartedly agree. That picture speaks more than 1000 words.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by