1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What predator ripped through the chicken wire?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Blondie, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    whatever ripped that whole had to have left some hair behind. Find that and post pictures of a closeup. I'm 50/50 on dog or big boar coon at this point.

2. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    Seen that before.COON.

3. DragonFeathers

DragonFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Agree with Boyd

4. Chris Mac

Chris Mac Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    When we lived on a farm years ago - the raccoons were very capable of doing this. They would kill everything in sight and and would actually take or eat only a couple of chickens.

5. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    If the heads were left on the chickens, it was a DOG! How sad. [​IMG]

Chicken wire is totally USELESS for keeping out predators. Don't know why people still keep using it. Salespeople in stores like TSC should tell prospective chicken owners this fact so they can put up more substantial fencing.

6. kman

kman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS
    i am not a 100% sure on this but i am 98% sure it was something in the cat family they will kill and leave it. in my experinces and only mine dogs runoff with it but cats be it a stray cat or a bobcat will just kill for territory reasons. like i said i just have never seen this with anything in the dog family.

one other thing helps lead me to this, best i can tell from the picture, it looks as if the wire was pulled apart, and no dog would be able to accmplish that task, a dog would have had to naw at the wire and it would have been mangled. seeing as how the heads were left on i come up with cat. but i by no means rule out coon i would have to see it first hand to be a 100% sure

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  7. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Look for tracks and hair. Leave the dead ones there for a while, and place a foot hold, steel jawed trap just inside the hole. Make sure it is secured; you don't want to lose the trap. The critter probably will be back for seconds. It will be hard to endure the smell, but the longer they lay there, the more likely you will get the critter.

Dispatch it from a distance. You do not want to get bitten.

Good Luck,

Rufus

8. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    Last winter had a hole just like that. the next day caught the guy in the act was a DOG now a dead dog and live chickens

9. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    +1 for cat due to the pile of birds, I am thinking a bob cat.

10. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:They shouldn't even call it chickenwire. They should call it deathtrap wire or coon-friendly wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by