What predator ripped through the chicken wire?

whatever ripped that whole had to have left some hair behind. Find that and post pictures of a closeup. I'm 50/50 on dog or big boar coon at this point.

When we lived on a farm years ago - the raccoons were very capable of doing this. They would kill everything in sight and and would actually take or eat only a couple of chickens.

If the heads were left on the chickens, it was a DOG! How sad.
hit.gif

Chicken wire is totally USELESS for keeping out predators. Don't know why people still keep using it. Salespeople in stores like TSC should tell prospective chicken owners this fact so they can put up more substantial fencing.

i am not a 100% sure on this but i am 98% sure it was something in the cat family they will kill and leave it. in my experinces and only mine dogs runoff with it but cats be it a stray cat or a bobcat will just kill for territory reasons. like i said i just have never seen this with anything in the dog family.

one other thing helps lead me to this, best i can tell from the picture, it looks as if the wire was pulled apart, and no dog would be able to accmplish that task, a dog would have had to naw at the wire and it would have been mangled. seeing as how the heads were left on i come up with cat. but i by no means rule out coon i would have to see it first hand to be a 100% sure

Last edited:
Look for tracks and hair. Leave the dead ones there for a while, and place a foot hold, steel jawed trap just inside the hole. Make sure it is secured; you don't want to lose the trap. The critter probably will be back for seconds. It will be hard to endure the smell, but the longer they lay there, the more likely you will get the critter.

Dispatch it from a distance. You do not want to get bitten.

Good Luck,

Rufus

Back
Top Bottom