What predator would do this?

That's crazy! I can't imagine the damage to ireland ecosystems raccoons would do by pushing out native species. Some people find them cute - I am not one of those people. I see them as smart and destructive disease factories that are an imminent threat to my chickens. But they are part of the ecosystem here in PA so unless they are trying to get places they shouldn't be or appear sick - I don't usually shoot on site. I installed motion sensor flood lights by my coop, stopped filling the wild bird feeders and clean up any uneaten food and cover the chickens feed at night. Have a hardware cloth apron with rocks and cement blocks around the coop and run. Haven't had much of a problem with them or the possums since I took those steps.

I just lost my first chicken at 2:15 in the afternoon to a barn owl. Its lack of "ears" made me think it was a hawk, but then the eyes and the white face do not belong to a hawk. It also flew silently to the nearby fence and stared at me as I picked up my dead chicken with no head, no neck - another way to know it was an owl who did the killing.

I haven't let my chickens out since this happened three days ago. They look ruefully at me, but I'm scared and don't know how long to keep them cooped up.

I haven't let my chickens out since this happened three days ago. They look ruefully at me, but I'm scared and don't know how long to keep them cooped up.
That's rough. I'm sorry that you lost one of your flock. Hard to say how long it will stick around waiting for another meal. If you haven't had any problems before hopefully it's just passing thru. If you do let them out it would probably have to be supervised till you're sure it's gone.

Back
Top Bottom