What predator would do this?

JosieMaeChickens

Chirping
Nov 21, 2022
We have about 50 5 week old chicks. This evidence they were out free ranging while I did the other chicken chores in the big coop. I was back and forth between the 3 coops and the water pump multiple times. Then I went to feed the dogs so I was away from the chickens for maybe 15 minutes. I moved a broody hen and her eggs to her own coop, closed the chicks up in there coop (again it is 50 chicks so I didn’t actually do a head count) and came inside. Of course I waited and looked around for slow pokes that hadn’t made it back to the coop yet. I go back out about 20 minutes later for something and she this about 5 ft from the water pump. So I would have seen it when I was doing chores earlier in the evening. This must have happened right at dusk when I went to feed the dogs or after I came inside and this chick maybe was left out. My point it it must have been quick. We have had chickens for about 2 years, no loses to predators so far. We have an occasional hawk fly over but never has it gotten a chicken. I’m pretty sure this isn’t a hawk but I’m honestly clueless.

The chick’s head is gone and it’s like it was gutted.

Attachments

• FF4E2EAB-951B-4A90-AB96-CD105487333B.jpeg
    FF4E2EAB-951B-4A90-AB96-CD105487333B.jpeg
    919.9 KB · Views: 135
Im so sorry, thats really sad. A dog could do that, like playing with a chew toy. I dont know what else exactly but I know others will be here to help figure it out. Maybe a rat?

Back
Top Bottom