What predators are known for digging under coops?

Boilerja

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
I live in the Midwest. I'm curious as to what animals, besides dogs, are known for digging under coops to get at the chickens? Opossums? Racoons? Thanks!

Possums and coons aren't prone to digging, they'd rather work with their hands. Coyotes are diggers(we lost an entire flock to a coyote that dug under the buried fence).
Fox are burrow animals. They live in underground dens and are master diggers. I had a problem with a fox digging near my fence so I buried large rocks around the perimeter of the fence and stacked more large rocks around the fence about a foot high and I haven't had a problem since.

My neighbor thought we were nuts for putting our coop on a concrete slab. The following winter, he discovered a badger had dug under the footings of his 40+ year-old coop. He didn't seem to think it was after the chickens (it didn't kill any), but looking for a warm place to sleep.

I put big cement pavers under the coop with the weight of the coop a critter would be hard pressed to push up under it. the chicken run/yard has a wooden border with a gravel compacted walkway around it. they are not out of the coop at night and I walk around it every morning before they come out to make sure no visitors are lurking.

I have the same problem. This winter some thing went under our 8 by 10 coop and dug a huge deep hole it is at least 3ft if not 4ft deep . No skunk or racoon smell but a scent for sure. Have yet to see a thing. But we had a big mouse population that probably brought who ever?? Anyone else have subterrainan boarders?

Back
Top Bottom