What predators can roosters actually kill/fend off?

I agree, kudos to that deputy. When he returned the dog, he warned the owner not to even think about retaliating against my neighbor, period.

What a rooster can fend off really does depend on the predator and the particular rooster. Most do die in defense of their flocks when they do take on the fight. What I expect is for the flock leader to get his hens as well as himself to safety as the first course of action and to confront only if it cannot be avoided. I mean, if he dies, the hens then have no rooster, so if he can save most of the hens as well as himself by being cautious and alert, that is what I consider the best course of action, no matter how awe-inspiring some of these rooster-confronts-predator-saves-the-flock stories can be.

My own predator rich environment and my plan to continue free ranging in the face of an aging flock rooster has led me to raise up several of his sons to aid in overseeing the flock duties, especially watching out and if need be, defending against, danger.

Stray cats - hens don't need a rooster to handle cats.

Not many animals stupid enough to come on our property with our three dogs arounds around, however on afternoon when the dogs were in the house we watched a cat stalk our hens. Hens were too smart and too big for the cat.

We typically keep a rooster or two around, but haven't seen one take on any predators. Mostly because they haven't had to with us having 150 lb & 100 lb dogs and a small ratter dog too.

My last alpha roo got a bit lazy when it came to the cats and one of my cats would take a chick if the hen was not very watchful. When the new alpha roo took over he spent about two weeks making sure the cockerels and cats knew who was boss. By the end of the two weeks not one of my cats will even look sideways at a chick.
As far as hawks go what ever rooster spots it will call an alarm and all the hens instantly disapear. The roosters and cockerels will stay in sight and watch the sky. The hens will stay hidden until the alpha rooster gives the all clear.
The biggest problem I have had so far is from a gray falcon that shows up once and a while. He comes in so fast and low that even the song birds do not see him. I caught him one day on my hay with 2 cockerels and a pullett he had killed and had started to eat.
I know my flock will kill rats and lizards, but they eat them so fast I cannot be sure how often.

ME!!!! Years ago I use to have a big ole EE rooster. That rooster was mean, Mean, MEAN! I could not go outside without a broomstick in my hand and two eyes behind my back. My husband hit him with the broom one time and sent flying when he attacked me. He layed on the ground and did not move. I fussed at my husband for killing him. About five minutes later, he got up and went on his way. I know this rooster once took on some kind of predator. I found all my hens in hiding all over the place and a few minutes later the rooster shows up looking like he had been in a tussle, but he still stood tall and crowed.

From what ive read, so called chicken wire isn't any good at keeping out predators. I noticed my electric wire was messed up the other day. So I think something got zapped! Chickens are ok. Electric fence chargers are a good idea.

ME!!!! Years ago I use to have a big ole EE rooster. That rooster was mean, Mean, MEAN! I could not go outside without a broomstick in my hand and two eyes behind my back. My husband hit him with the broom one time and sent flying when he attacked me. He layed on the ground and did not move. I fussed at my husband for killing him. About five minutes later, he got up and went on his way. I know this rooster once took on some kind of predator. I found all my hens in hiding all over the place and a few minutes later the rooster shows up looking like he had been in a tussle, but he still stood tall and crowed.
And that's one rooster I'd have culled as a predator. No way I'd put up with that. A rooster does not have to be human aggressive to be a good breeder and flock leader. Mine are bred for temperament; to me, that's just as important a breed trait as any characteristic in the Standard of Perfection. Most backyard flock keepers prefer a non-human-aggressive rooster.

It all depends on the cock.
I say that from experience. I've had them known-people passive and stranger-people aggressive; my dog passive and coyote aggressive (although they never got the opportunity to fight them without a fence between the two); and the worst in my opnion, tough on the girls and passive towards dangers. I saw my best cock take on an aerial attack by a red tailed hawk. He did great. Kept it off the girls and himself intact until the girls could hide and by then my husband & I were out there with our waving arms (husband) and a rifle (me).

A couple things mentioned here I would take note of. First off, roosters are good watch dogs and alert the flock when there is any kind of trouble. Most roosters will surrender themselves to the death fending off "anything" threatening his girls and offspring. If he feels you are a threat, he will challenge you as well!
Secondly, there are a lot stronger fence wiring alternatives to chicken wire as it is named. The thickness and gage of the wire is what you need to look for. Also the weave openings need to be smaller than opposed to say a 4x4 inch opening. I have an open air florida room type holding pen attached to the coop with fenced sides and a plywood and shingled roof. The only thing that gets into that room and the coop are bugs!
My 10 or 11 lb. buff orp roo made a red tailed hawk back off several times. That same hawk killed 2 of my birds after I rehomed our rooster. Wishing I would have never gotten rid of him. I purchased another rooster for breeding purposes and I can hardly wait for him to develop. Hard to wish for a roo thats people friendly as well as protective enough to fight to the death.
My choice for a good flock protector is the jersey giant rooster. I had a monster that would just as soon spit on you than look at you. Meaner than a junk yard dog. Bubba made great chicken soup and it was excellent! Sorry bubba.

Back
Top Bottom