What preditor can squeeze through a 2"x3" hole and eat chickens in NYS

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Daniel Gleich, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Daniel Gleich

Daniel Gleich New Egg

Sep 14, 2009
    We live in Rockland County, NY. We have a 12' x 15' coop that is enclosed on all sides and on top with 2" x 3" wire fencing. We have 6 hens and haven't had any problems for years. Recently some sort of animal has been getting in at night and killing/ eating some of our hens. What type of animal can squeeze through such a size fence? Please help!

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Sorry for your losses. What are you finding in the coop? I have found that chickens are not very bright, and if a coon reaches through the fence, the chicken will walk right up to investigate, and then the coon grabs it. Watched a coon pick off a batch of chicks through chicken wire that way once. With grown chickens, the bodies will often be next to the fence with the heads gone, although a couple of my hens looked like they managed to stagger to the other side of the coop before dying; they did have head and neck injuries.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    weasels maybe

4. karl lutz

karl lutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Weasles or rats was the chicken gutted and the body left alone?

5. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Weasels. Definately. Had them go through my 2x2 wire.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Is the fence wire 2" x 3" all the way around? Or has that been used on the top, but smaller wire around the sides???

7. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I'd agree with weasels. We've also had a couple of minks around. They'll easily go through your wire. Hardware cloth should be used in this area. Good luck - hope you catch it!

8. Zuesdude

Zuesdude Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    OH
    If you place plywood boards two feet high around your run that may help but your also going to have to use chicken wire, that's what its for.[​IMG]

9. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I would also agree with weasels. I live in NY and sam one once running down the side of the road after a snow storm. I also lost my whole flock of 5 chickens to one like 6 years ago. It got in and killed them all and ate what it wanted. We trapped it like a day later with the remains of one of the chickens.

10. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    It's a weasel.

Rats "could" do it, but very rarely will they kill "several" or a "few" chickens a night. Multiple killings are a weasel, or those closely related to a weasels, calling card.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by