What price do you get for your eggs?

We sell them for $2 and can't produce enough to cover the demand. We think of it as a hobby, not a business. It covers our feed costs, so our eggs are free.

We sell them for $2 and can't produce enough to cover the demand. We think of it as a hobby, not a business. It covers our feed costs, so our eggs are free.

Same here. We charge $2. Even if people were willing to pay higher, I'm not greedy nor money hungry. Mine will stay $2/doz.

Last edited:
Where I live, the farmer's market sells eggs around $5 to $6 a dozen...and to me they look mismatched and odd sized and often not very clean, but they appear to be selling eggs.

For several years I got $5 a dozen from friends who set the market price...they asked to buy my eggs and told me they would pay $5 a dozen. However this last summer I noticed a drop in my egg sales as the local supermarkets began to compete with brown free range eggs at a lower price. Originally free range, non-hormone, non-antibiotic eggs were about $5 a dozen for large, maybe $4.50...now they are about $3 a dozen, and sometimes lower...so this summer I found I needed to reduce my price to $4 to help sell my eggs better...although most customers are still happy to pay $5 and often will just give me $5 as they don't want the change back.

I make sure my eggs are clean and well sized...overall large to extra large. (I use a postal scale to weigh my dozen to make sure they are above the minimum for large and usually they are to the minimum for extra large). I only sell brown eggs currently, but I will be including blue/green eggs hopefully soon (if the EE's chip in come spring).

I have one customer who prepays for one dozen a week for 2 or 3 months at a time...so I guess I have an egg contract. On high season, I keep an Egg-lert list of those who like to buy eggs from me to announce I've got an extra dozen or two for sale. Usually I have no problem selling them, sometimes I don't get a taker and get to make extra omlets and a pound cake.

I have reduced my egg contract customer to $4 a dozen as she faithfully pays ahead and as I said the free range eggs in the market have come down so much. I do tell my customers that the eggs they get from me are less than a week old, often only a few days old which is received very warmly. (The average age of a supermarket egg is 6 to 7 weeks).

I don't rate myself organic as I don't buy organic feed, just grain fed, free range, non-hormone, non-antibiotic eggs from happy, healthy hens.

My customers like buying locally and from raisers who they know are treating their animals humanely. (I live in the Portland Oregon area so local sustainable is a big deal here.)

To those customers interested, I provide photos of my animals and settings, which they enjoy and adds to their desire to purchase from "animals they know."

My experiences
Lady of McCamley

Locally in Alaska, we are getting $5 per dozen, $7.50 for 18 count. And that is grain fed, free-range eggs, brown to blue.

Also, forgot to add, our pricing is for a mixture of white/pink/brwn/speckled eggs. They are medium to large, and each carton is a variety. I used to worry more about the size being consistent, but as long as they are at least medium, I throw them in. Folks seem to like the variety- we've got 10 different breeds. I went a little chicken crazy over the last couple of years. No complaints yet :)

I get $3 per dozen. Some people do complain or try to get us to sell for less saying they can get eggs from Wal-Mart or the local grocery store for less -- and I always say, "not eggs like these . . . . go ahead and buy them from Wal-Mart then . . . "

We have regular customers who never complain and will buy 2-3 dozen at a time. I just try to sell some to offset the feed prices (along with all the other expenditures).

Back
Top Bottom