What price do you get for your eggs?

Woo hoo! This is my very first post, I've been lurking for 2 years and this site has been my "go to" for help/asnwers.

Anyway, we just started with chickens in 2012, and this was our first farmers market year. I sell our pastured eggs for $4/ dozen. We are in Frankfort, KY. In the winter, we do egg shares, so folks pay up front either on our website or by check (they fill out an online form) and we get about $3 per half dozen and $4.70 for dozen. The egg shares include delivery, but Frankfort is a small town so it's not that big a deal.

I can't imagine for selling them for any less. We won't do anything but pastured, and any less money isn't worth the trouble. We have a waiting list of dozens of folks for our shares, so I'm thinking of raising the pricing. If you have the option, a share system sure is nice because it gaurantees cash up front and you aren't overwhelmed with eggs. We are one of the few places where you can get eggs in the winter, so I think that helps us.

Thanks!

Locally in Alaska, we are getting $5 per dozen, $7.50 for 18 count. And that is grain fed, free-range eggs, brown to blue.

I plan on charging $4.00 a dozen for mine once I get up and running.

I buy eggs at Walmart and they're $2.18 a dozen.

If my antibiotic, hormone free eggs from chickens that eat an all natural diet aren't worth an extra $1.82 to the customer then they are not the customer that I want to market to. I can't be Walmart. I have to find the customer that appreciates what I am selling and understands the difference between my eggs and Walmart's eggs. These people will pay a little more for eggs that they see as superior.

You have to market your eggs though. I recommend facebook and word of mouth. See if you can leave literature in health food stores or vitamin shops that don't sell eggs. Talk to people who are into holistic stuff, like yoga instructors and see if they will let you put something in their newsletters or email blasts. Free advertising is the best kind and word spreads fast in these circles. If you play your cards right you will be sold out of eggs all the time.

Also, forgot to add, our pricing is for a mixture of white/pink/brwn/speckled eggs. They are medium to large, and each carton is a variety. I used to worry more about the size being consistent, but as long as they are at least medium, I throw them in. Folks seem to like the variety- we've got 10 different breeds. I went a little chicken crazy over the last couple of years. No complaints yet :)

I get $3 per dozen. Some people do complain or try to get us to sell for less saying they can get eggs from Wal-Mart or the local grocery store for less -- and I always say, "not eggs like these . . . . go ahead and buy them from Wal-Mart then . . . "

We have regular customers who never complain and will buy 2-3 dozen at a time. I just try to sell some to offset the feed prices (along with all the other expenditures).

Back
Top Bottom