What protection(s) do show directors provide for you & your chickens?

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
When you take your chickens to a competition, what protection(s) are directors required to provide for you & your chickens?
What facilities are the directors required to provide?
What protection for other contestants chickens are you required to provide?
Do you worry about your chickens' being exposed to safety dangers or diseases?
Have you ever removed your chicken from a show because of obvious neglect of correct standards by directors and/or other contestants?
What was your worst experience, ever?

Last edited:
As an exhibitor you bear some responsibility for ensuring the health and safety of your animals.

To do this it is important that you report sick birds, report people taking birds that are not theirs out of cages, etc. A director is ONE person, who, according to my observations, is probably being pulled a million different ways during a show. The exhibitors need to look out for their own bird, and for the birds of other exhibitors. It requires community effort to achieve a good show, from organizing it, to putting up the cages, to coop-out and tear down.

Since I show I chose to protect my flock by vaccinating for some diseases that have been known to occur in my state and the states I am currently showing in. I currently vaccinate for mareks, coryza, and MG with killed virus.

So, what protections do you plan to offer YOUR birds while showing?
smile.png

Quote:
ddawn, me too, but I might consider showing because I have some super bbs Orpingtons and bbs silkies.
I hatched out 17 bbs Orpington chicks for my doctor and his wife. They gave the roosters away to a lady and a 4-H young man and kept two blue roosters. The lady who got the black roosters won first place and best in show with one of them at the county fair.
I would not want to show any of my chickens though if I thought that they would be put in jeopardy in any way.

Last edited:
There is always a cjance that your birds can contract an illness while at a show, no matter how careful everyone is. That is why many folks quarantine their own birds when returning from a show.

When you take your chickens to a competition, what protection(s) are directors required to provide for you & your chickens?

The buildings are usually secured at night, but there is still a chance someone could walk out with your bird in broad daylight, it has happened. The superintendent is responsible for removing any bird he feels is sick or carrying parasites, and to investigate any reports of such. Leg band numbers are usually supposed to be on the coop tag for ID if the bird gets out or there is a question of ownership.

The facilities go from an open barn to a heated/air convention center. Water and bedding and many times feed are provided for those who don't carry their own. There will be a small cup in the cage for water.

As already mentioned, it is your responsibility to leave sick birds or possibly sick birds at home, make sure your birds are free from parasites. Test you birds as required by the state you are showing in. So far I have only encountered Pullorum testing to be required. Report any sick or diseased chickens.

Yes, all the time. Many show gowers make sure their birds have extra vitamins during the show season, some will treat offhand with antibiotics and wormers. Many keep zipties on their birds cages except during the actual judging. You always need to check the cage for any wire ends that may be protruding inside the cage (some of these are antiques, I swear!) The bird in the next cage could always be carrying something that your bird is susceptible to.

Have you ever removed your chicken from a show because of obvious neglect of correct standards by directors and/or other contestants?

No, but I have heard of it happening. For example, by APA rules, when you enter a trio, you should still have individual coops for each bird. Some shows, especially smaller ones, will expect you to put them all in one cage, especially the banties. Most exhibitors who show very much will refuse to do so.

Actually I haven't had much trouble. The worst problem is the old cages because the expense of replacing them is so high. Doors that don't close well, loose wires, etc. Always carry a few zip ties with you. My absolutely worst experience was my own fault. Coop out is always a wild time, and I had carried about 33 birds to the state fair. I cooped out and left one of my hens. I still can't believe I did it, but I did. Luckily, I got her back. Now, I go by a list that I check off.​

Usually there is a statement in the show catalog stating that you accept that thing s can ans do happen at show and that the show is not responsible for loss or theft. Having said that, we have people at the doors and try to keep an eye out for suspicious behavior. We delayed releasing the exhibitors for fifteen minutes last year to find a duck that a junoir exhibitor couldn't find--we found the duck but the exhibitors were so angry about being held up I don't know if we would do that again. The hall is closed and locked in the evenings.

Not really required to have anything. In Iowa, we must ensure that the birds have water at all times, so we provide water cups and water jugs. We put shavings in the coops and offer additional shavings and donated 'show feed' that the exhibitors can feel free to use to feed their birds.

Not really required to do anything. It is best to zip tie or lock your cage if you are worried about theft. I show mostly standard Cornish and I'm not too concerned about someone being able to smuggle one out. I think leg bands or some type of banding is important to help identify birds. You may not think it but the exhibitors are watching the rows, and do a pretty good job of watching out for each other.

Yes. If a saw I sick bird, I would report it and expect it to ge moved/removed. I quarantine my birds.

No.

Someone brought a bird with Coryza and it was right next to one of our birds. They did not move the bird. When we got those birds home they were treated for coryza and quarantined--none got sick.

I had a well known breeder come up and very nearly accuse me of taking one of her birds. She was demanding that I show her all of the birds I had in my transport boxes. I told her to go walk the row and double check before she got in my grill--sure enough one of her minions had packed the bird for her.

Quote:
I agree with this.

Last show I went, I quarantined the birds for 5 weeks before moving them back with the flock. I also spray them with permethrin after a show in case they picked up any bugs.

Before, During and after the show I give the birds vitamins and electrolytes.

Back
Top Bottom