What pulls a chicken through a cage????

jbieware

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
Silver Point TN
I have a problem! I lost a 3 mth old chicken who was roosting with the others on my front porch Wens night. So I put them in a dog crate, it is like a cage with slim vertical and horizontal openings, last night. When I went out this morning to let them out another was missing!! I thought I was crazy and counted 3 times, but the feather trail proved the horrible truth. This cage was on my front porch and I cannot see how it is physically possible to pull a 3mth old chicken from out of that cage! What could do this? I also had a half bag of cat food dragged off Tues night if that gives any extra clues. I can promise you it will be taken care of tonight but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm up against. :mad:

My guess would be a raccoon too. It could have been a dog or cat but I still think a raccoon. With the bag of cat food being dragged off instead of eaten on spot, again I'm thinking raccoon. A dog or cat would normally just eat it right there instead of dragging it.

Wow i feel bad, When my birds were that age, i would cover there cage with a light blanket, this helps keep preditors out, in fact i still do that , they are now 5 months, outside in a coop but i still cover them at night, im to nervouse about bats and racoons. We have a lot of bats out side at night. If anything happened to them i would be more that heart broken,
sad.png

Sorry about your loss. We lined our run ~ and all coop openings ~ with 1/2" hardware cloth to prevent naughty coons from doing that. Nasty buggers they are: very strong, very clever, and then there are those sneaky little hands!!

What if you keep the chix in a garage at night for the time being?

Any chance of getting a dog to protect them? I have a dog that is 3/4 collie and 1/4 Akita. He hate raccoons and most other varmints. He loves kids and is smart enough to train him to leave the good animals alone. He gives the goats a tongue bath. He sleeps with a cat. We have only lost 1 bird to raccoons in 3 years. Can't say the same for the raccoons team!

At first I thought it was a coyote after the 1st chicken and cat food went missing. After this last chicken, it can't be. I thought it could be a snake but I don't think so because of the feathers where it was pulled through. I bet it's a raccoon!! I just didn't think it could be that strong!!

Quote:
Wait! Hold! Stop! Back up!
I have lots and lots of bats in my bat houses, and they don't bother us, the chickens, or anything or anyone else. Why on earth would you be afraid of bats, especially about them and your chickens?

9574_don_frisz_picture.jpg

9574_bat_house_four.jpg

Back
Top Bottom