1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what r u planting in your garden for your chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by L*A*G*, Jan 12, 2009.

1. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    I thought this would b neat to have people to post here what thier're planting to feed your chickens! right now I know I'm planting sunflowers for the seeds [​IMG] What do got?

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Come spring we'll be planting sunflowers, corn and cabbage mostly for the chickens. The rest of the garden will be mostly for us but the chickens will get some.

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

They get some tomato & zuccini. They love digging out the left over carrots in the Fall.

Last year I planted lots of sunflowers and sorghum (makes nice seed heads).

Early this Spring as soon as the snow melts I'm going to plant a green cover crop and after it comes up, they can have at it before I till it in. It will likely be rye and clover.

4. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have a garden yet, but I'm seriously considering planting one. I think it will be a lot of work to get one started here because of our hard clay...but once we get the soil right, it would be great. I'll keep an eye on this thread for ideas on what to plant...

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Tilling in the woodchips and chicken poo will be a good start... If you do that this year and maybe try a cover crop (till it in, don't let it establish and go to seed!), you'd probably have a decent start for next year. In the Fall you can till in more + all the bagged leaves you can find. If you can collect coffee grinds from Starbucks, those are a great free soil amendment, too.

We have horrible clay here as the base soil, too.

6. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Pumpkin, squash, chickens get all the left over tomato parts, cucumbers. Beets, carrots, radish, lettuce for the bunnies and whatever else that's in there when we plant [​IMG]

I have going through all the catalogs, I'm so ready for spring!!!!

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    TXmom & others, don't let poor soil stop you from gardening! There's a lot you can grow in containers. They don't need to be deep for many vegs, some as shallow as 6". You can use pots or build up frames from wood and fill them with good soil. There's a lot of encouragement for schools to make gardens for their students and some are making these types of raised beds on asphalt or concrete. Get growing!

Our veg growing season here in So Fla is opposite most of the country, we begin in Sept-Aug and must be finished by May, the summer heat is too much for many vegs. I got my veg bed ready by dumping out about 25 bags of aging horse manure and letting the chickens scratch & spread it out for me. Now it's fenced off & planted for the season. From that I give my birds all the spoiled fruit and many outer lettuce leaves, and of course all the worms I find.

But along the outside of their pens I built long flower-box type containers and plant collards, marigolds & zinneas. Then I secure long pieces of ventilated shelving (scavanged or Freecycled) to the box, making an inverted V, to keep the chickens from scratching in the containers or pecking up the sprouting seeds. In a few weeks the plants are big & strong enough to withstand their beaks, and they've grown up through the wire for the birds to reach.

8. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks for the advice! I had thought about tilling in the shavings and poop, but didn't think about the coffee grounds...I'll do that this year and plant the garden next year. [​IMG] I've been so busy researching chicken stuff...the next project will definitely be the garden!

9. animal nut

animal nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    My chicks like all kinds of veggies so I plan on gardening just for them. They really like leafy greens and all kinds of squash. My family thinks that I have gon over the edge, but the way I see it is I am saving on feed and providing my flock with good organic food.

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:But do plant SOMEthing this year, even just one container or windowbox or tray! Get a cheap plastic colander and a packet of lettuce seeds, or a pot with the fresh herb you use the most. Grow a tomato plant in a tub, or a pepper or cucumber.

C'mon! It's as fun (and addicting) as chickeneering!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by