What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Also watch out for power cords, phone cords and cable cords. Ours bit through a game cord, phone power cord and outside on the balcony our cable line. Power is pretty strong here and I got a good tingle while repairing damage. Had to put a cover around where our cable came into the house and we dont leave them unattended anytime now.

Also watch out for power cords, phone cords and cable cords. Ours bit through a game cord, phone power cord and outside on the balcony our cable line. Power is pretty strong here and I got a good tingle while repairing damage. Had to put a cover around where our cable came into the house and we dont leave them unattended anytime now.
This is something that I have frequently heard from people who have house rabbits. Just as you have to baby-proof a house, you have to rabbit-proof it, too!

We currently have two does in our house full time due to the triple digit temps outside. They are in an expanded xpen with a cover on top and 4 layers of tarp underneath it and wrapped up the sides. I also have a smaller dog kennel so that when I clean the bigger pen, I can temporarily put them in the dog kennel. (they have actually gotten to the point where they hop between the two places at cleaning time) Some people think it's alot of work, but it's worth it to us. DH and I have become more attached to them and they both have become more friendly. They do not like to be picked up AT ALL but they do enjoy getting tickles and petted in their xpen. I have been thinking of letting them roam a little bit outside the xpen but they sure do poop up a storm even with a litter box. (maybe a bigger one is the trick - I got the biggest one I could find - i would probably need some kind of under bed storage tote) They quickly learned to pee in the litter box, which is great, but pellets are another story. Thanks for posting the step by step instructions. It helps alot.
I have found that if they are pooping outside the litter box, they need to be locked up in the cage for a day or two. And a thorough cleaning done where they pooped to remove their sent. This helps them respect your territory. They will only poop for a couple of reasons(aside from having to go) to confirm their territorial boundaries or if they are scared.
I hope this helps. :)

This is something that I have frequently heard from people who have house rabbits. Just as you have to baby-proof a house, you have to rabbit-proof it, too!
Very good point!!
They will chew cords. So you have to "bun proof" the house. Imagine a rabbit in the wild chewing vines to clear a path or keep house. Same principle. They can easily chew through a copper cable.
You can:
1. put the wires out of reach
2. block access to the wires
3. buy cable wrapping to prevent them from getting to the inside of the wire ( I have included a link to some that I use)
http://www.amazon.com/Legrand-CM62-...TF8&qid=1403187262&sr=8-9&keywords=wire+cover

Also lets not forget plants and chemicals, traps for mice or other such. My kids are big and I always had kids since I was 18 so my house has always been baby proof. Animal proof is another story lol. Birds especially. Anyways we let our two rabbits meet today so I will be watching to see taletale signs soon enough. We lost another bird yesterday so I have a few bird cages if I need housing for kits in a month or so. Its going to get very hot here but she is on a shaded balcony with full ventilation. I can bring her in on really hot days if I need to. So once we determine she is expecting im sure there will be lots of questions. I will try to do some reading power permitting.

Also lets not forget plants and chemicals, traps for mice or other such. My kids are big and I always had kids since I was 18 so my house has always been baby proof. Animal proof is another story lol. Birds especially. Anyways we let our two rabbits meet today so I will be watching to see taletale signs soon enough. We lost another bird yesterday so I have a few bird cages if I need housing for kits in a month or so. Its going to get very hot here but she is on a shaded balcony with full ventilation. I can bring her in on really hot days if I need to. So once we determine she is expecting im sure there will be lots of questions. I will try to do some reading power permitting.

She's preg? Wow. How far along?

No, no, you misunderstood. I let them mate today. It was quite funny. First he nuzzled her then he put his head on her neck like a hug then he jumped on and well we started laughing cause he was not in the right part of body even. He finally got to the proper place and after a bit of positioning and trial and error well he rolled over sideways off of her and just laid there a few minutes. My first time seeing rabbits mate and this was first for both of them. We let them have free roam of the balcony ashe continued to court her and follow her along the balcony. After about half and hour we put her back in her cage. While they were busy my daughter cleaned out his man cave. After temp housing the chickens it needed fresh sand and straw. He has free roam of the patio and prefers to sleep on top of the cage since we cleaned out his nest behind and moved things around. So if I remember I should let them visit each other again tomorrow then how long before I should know if we are successful in mating them? Then you said 29 days put a box in for her would a towel be ok since her cage doesnt really have a lot of room or should we move her into the larger crate? I think there are photos of both in my pics I have posted. The crate is 2x4x2 aprox her cage is 2x3x2 but has a platform. I was thinking to put bedding under the platform for her to nest. Plus we will be looking at 90 and over temps here soon and the cage is fully open plus vented for urine and poop to a catch drawer. What else do I need to prepare. I can do a hot water bottle or lamps if needed but I read they cant survive on sub milk if we getkits and they need extra help. I know first batch will be iffy but better to get it over so that by the time she is older she will have more experience.

All I do is after I breed them I mork on my calandra the day I bred, when the nest box goes in, and when they were born how many we're dead and how many alive. Then I put weaning date down. Feed her a lot more now she's breed. She'll need a lot more water. Don't play with her after 2weeks. Don't stress her out.

Back
Top Bottom