What rare breed is this?

Age and a picture from the side please. 

12 weeks or so

Mixed color, not mixed breed. They'd still be pure Phoenix.
This is what most people don't understand. It can't be a pure Phoenix if it's a parents were two different varieties. Breed is determined by whether or not a bird meets the breed standard, and it must breed true. Mixed color birds will not meet the standard for coloring, and they will not breed true. Hence they can not be considered 'purebred' anything.
With chickens, it's not about pedigree. I know it can be a difficult concept to grasp. But it honestly doesn't matter if the parents are the same breed. If they are different colors, they produce mixed breeds.

I don't agree. If you have pure bred parents and crossed colors to create new colors they still be pure breds. But they wouldn't be accepted colors this I understand. By what your saying any breed or color that is not APA excepted is a cross bred. So for instance Spitzhaubens would not pure breds because they are not APA accepted?? I understand that first generation crossed colors in a pure breed "like Pheonix in this case" will not breed true. But I belive they are still pure Pheonix. This is how new colors are made. I myself have several colors in different breeds that do breed true that are not currently APA accepted colors. But they are still pure breds.

You missed the part were I said it must breed true. Mixed color birds won't breed true. If it doesn't breed true at least 50% of the time, it's not a purebred anything. Lineage is not taken into consideration. It's about whether or not a bird bred with another bird with the same characteristics produces more chicks with those characteristics at least 50% of the time. Chicken breeds are not determined by pedigree. This is just simple fact. Some refuse to accept that fact, but that still doesn't mean it's any less true. You can't pick and choose which facts you 'believe in'. Fact is fact.
Spitzhaubens are a breed because they do have breed standards in other parts of the world. APA is not the only poultry organization in the world that has set standards. European Araucana do not meet the American standard for Araucana. Does that mean they aren't pure Araucana? Of course not, it was just bred to a different standard.

You missed my point. According to you if you breed a golden phoenix to a silver phoenix the offspring would not be phoenix.

Back
Top Bottom