What record keeping system are you using?

I had never heard of it.
I just downloaded it. It looks like I have 5 free days of use and then I have to either pay a dollar a month or 10 bucks for a year.
I added faker info just to see how it works:View attachment 3475370
The paid version is worth it, IMO. I can add multiple flocks, several photos of chickens, eggs, weight, track egg and chick sales, feed cost week to week, month to month and yearly. I love the app.

I had never heard of it.
I just downloaded it. It looks like I have 5 free days of use and then I have to either pay a dollar a month or 10 bucks for a year.
I added faker info just to see how it works:View attachment 3475370
these are screen shots of paid version- calendar and individual bird journal page.

Attachments

• IMG_2538.png
    IMG_2538.png
    283.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2537.png
    IMG_2537.png
    245.9 KB · Views: 7
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think I might just make something custom. Maybe in Java? Or web based / web app with sqlite so it'd work on my phone and PC.

FarmOS is essentially just a nice UI for a database. What I want for all my animals is an option to see the pedigree / children, up to and down to grand parents / grand children.

For FarmOS all the animals are just logged under "animal" so the cats, sheep, and chickens are all mushed together. I've been using tags like "Chicken, mutt", "chicken, Leghorn". And that's fine, but I think things could be more elegant. I have the same issue with various cultivars of the same species of plant. "Bean, dragon's tongue" etc. I'd really prefer a category sorting and then the individual cultivars nested under it.

And the flockstar stuff for egg tracking seems more developed and nice that the egg module FarmOS has. I'd like to start tracking the sheep and goat's milk the same way. Or track yield on a certain cultivar vs another.

For the garden I'd like also to track planting harvest dates. Maybe when a planting is recorded, a harvest date can be auto populated? I've got all my seeds sorted into Feb / march / April / may planting and it can be a little messy.

I had an excel sheet but it was getting too intense... Difficult to maintain.

Have to finish my webdev project for this semester and then I'm making an app for a local dairy... But after that, maybe I'll whip something up? I'd make it available to everyone.

I also wanted to make a food ration calculator like some of the spreadsheets I've seen on here.

Its mostly in my mind. I do use a toe punch chart to keep track of toe punched chicks and sometimes I take pictures of certain hens with colored leg bands and add notes. But for the most part the what’s what of my farm is in my head. I also find my internet postings useful.

I use Flockstar and love it. They have free version and a paid version. The free version is great you can log eggs and make journal entries as well as log pictures. The paid version is really great because you can keep track of sales and expenses
I second this. I have the paid version and love it!

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think I might just make something custom. Maybe in Java? Or web based / web app with sqlite so it'd work on my phone and PC.

FarmOS is essentially just a nice UI for a database. What I want for all my animals is an option to see the pedigree / children, up to and down to grand parents / grand children.

[…]

My mrs and I were talking about the same thing. I’ve gotta take a look at FarmOS because I’ve just started and my apple numbers file is getting ridiculous.

Before we moved I was gonna work on a to-do app but I think flock records is more urgent/interesting. :)

I will post on the forum if I get something worth sharing up and running. (but don’t hold your breath as I haven’t found much computer time in my weeks lately)

For FarmOS all the animals are just logged under "animal" so the cats, sheep, and chickens are all mushed together. I've been using tags like "Chicken, mutt", "chicken, Leghorn". And that's fine, but I think things could be more elegant. I have the same issue with various cultivars of the same species of plant. "Bean, dragon's tongue" etc. I'd really prefer a category sorting and then the individual cultivars nested under it.

And the flockstar stuff for egg tracking seems more developed and nice that the egg module FarmOS has. I'd like to start tracking the sheep and goat's milk the same way. Or track yield on a certain cultivar vs another.

For the garden I'd like also to track planting harvest dates. Maybe when a planting is recorded, a harvest date can be auto populated? I've got all my seeds sorted into Feb / march / April / may planting and it can be a little messy.

Have to finish my webdev project for this semester and then I'm making an app for a local dairy... But after that, maybe I'll whip something up? I'd make it available to everyone.

I also wanted to make a food ration calculator like some of the spreadsheets I've seen on here.
If you ever make this app, I’d be willing to donate towards it! It’s so hard to find something that can track breeders and lineages. I’ve been using multiple excel documents, but I think I’m getting in over my head, hahah. It’s hard to create a family tree line - especially when I want to add pictures!

Back
Top Bottom