What rooster should I keep?

Karmachic6

In the Brooder
May 30, 2021
I have 11 hens and I have 3 roosters so 2 have to go! Should I keep the Brahma or the golden Wyandotte rooster? I have regular sized hens and may not breed them… but if I did what rooster would be better?

I have 11 hens and I have 3 roosters so 2 have to go! Should I keep the Brahma or the golden Wyandotte rooster? I have regular sized hens and may not breed them… but if I did what rooster would be better?
What are your goals with chickens? Which rooster best fits those goals? If you do hatch any chicks, which rooster would you want the chicks to be like, behaviors as well as appearance?

Your decision should be based on what you want, not what I want.

Personally, I prefer wyandottes!
Tell us their personalities, temperament etc.
The Brahma may be too big to breed with your hens so keep that in mind
The Wyandotte’s are more independent and the hens seem to be closer to the Brahma but I’m concerned he may be to big if I want to breed

What are your goals with chickens? Which rooster best fits those goals? If you do hatch any chicks, which rooster would you want the chicks to be like, behaviors as well as appearance?

Your decision should be based on what you want, not what I want.

This. Exactly.

What do you want for your flock going forward?

Do you even actually want to hatch chicks to add to/replace your flock?

If you're not actually wanting to hatch then you can pick whichever rooster you personally like best with no regard to anything but his personality/colors/whatever it is that makes you like him.

My Light Brahma rooster did no harm to his non-Brahma ladies except for wearing their backs bare -- possibly because he could have used more hens to spread the love around.

I pondered this question last year when I thought I might have had two "oops" roosters in that batch of chicks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/possible-roosters-pros-and-cons-of-these-breeds.1413516/

I decided that I didn't want either the characteristics of a Light Brahma or a SLW as half the genetics in my flock because of the late maturity of the Brahmas and the smaller eggs and lower heat tolerance of the Wyandottes. So, if you do want to hatch replacements, in addition to considering the personalities of the roosters you want to consider what breed traits you wish to pass on in general as well as the traits of the individual roosters.

As an example of individual traits, while I do love Brahmas, the hen in my avatar lays undersized, weirdly-round eggs. I don't intend to breed her because of that. One of my Blue Australorps started laying a week ahead of the California White *and* has gone broody in her first spring. Both early maturity and broodiness are traits I desire therefore she'll be my foundation hen. :)

Back
Top Bottom