WHAT SAYS BYC: WINTER IS COMING!! How do I keep my chickens warm?

I keep large and small birds.
Brahma to bantam Cochin's make it just fine here with no added heat. I do use a bucket heater for their water.
We get weeks where we do not get above zero for the high. Mine choose to stay in when it gets like that so I end up cleaning the coop more.

Listing what state is not exactly telling where you are but give folks an idea of what your weather is like. ;)
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT..... I live in Ohio, and ok.

In my place, it can get down to 10 degrees around December 20th or so... I don't want to give out exactly where I am located to anybody in the world.
I understand. :thumbsup

That's not too cold. You keep LF, yes? Just ensuring you don't have something like Seramas, which do indeed require heat earlier than other breeds.

I don't know that "shivering" or shaking legs is exactly a cold thing. I see it in warm temperatures as well as cold.

I understand. :thumbsup

That's not too cold. You keep LF, yes? Just ensuring you don't have something like Seramas, which do indeed require heat earlier than other breeds.

I don't know that "shivering" or shaking legs is exactly a cold thing. I see it in warm temperatures as well as cold.
Umm.... what does LF mean??

Ah so you get snow, sometimes strong winds and cold temps.

Vents up high to keep moisture from building up will help prevent frostbite. I made mine closable so whichever way the wind is coming from I can close that side and open the other.

I even have leghorn with only ever one very mild case of frostbite. We were a negative 16 during the night and a negative 3 for the high. My vents were all closed during that so totally my fault.

Ah so you get snow, sometimes strong winds and cold temps.

Vents up high to keep moisture from building up will help prevent frostbite. I made mine closable so whichever way the wind is coming from I can close that side and open the other.

I even have leghorn with only ever one very mild case of frostbite. We were a negative 16 during the night and a negative 3 for the high. My vents were all closed during that so totally my fault.
Ditto. I rarely if ever see frostbite on hens, but all my roosters are winter trimmed. Mea culpa for buying single combed breeds. I'm switching to cushion.

I do deep litter but mine have a red light not for heat but for them to see in the dark it is only 25 watts when it snows they do not go out
they are hearty birds yes

Back
Top Bottom