WHAT SAYS BYC: WINTER IS COMING!! How do I keep my chickens warm?

Ok, are these pretty cold harty breeds? *lets do this cuz i still dont get what a large fowl is.. We have..

Jersey Giants
Golden sexlinks
Buff Orpingtons
Plymouth rocks
Easter Eggers
Are these good breeds?
Just means not bantam. Yes, those are just fine---I have kept all of them. Well, except for the rocks, but I have a friend that owns them. She also never heats.

Actually, I'm not sure if our black chicken is a Jersey Giant or Black Australorp, but australorps have pinkish feet and she does not. Jersey Giants have white feet, and she does too. She is also bigger than a black australorp.

Actually, I'm not sure if our black chicken is a Jersey Giant or Black Australorp, but australorps have pinkish feet and she does not. Jersey Giants have white feet, and she does too. She is also bigger than a black australorp.
I have had lorps too... they do great...

Ok, are these pretty cold harty breeds? *lets do this cuz i still dont get what a large fowl is.. We have..

Jersey Giants
Golden sexlinks
Buff Orpingtons
Plymouth rocks
Easter Eggers
Are these good breeds?

Those are listed as cold tolerant. They should do very well without added heat.

i live in upstate NY and it get cold here.. i have winter hardy breeds and they do just fine.. last year not even a touch of frost bite and mine never stay in the coop.. they are out in blizzards, the goofy birds.. they hang out under the porch and i shovel paths in the snow for them.. my coop is small enough it stays kinda warm from their body heat.

I keep lots of breed including Buff Orpington, Black Australorp, and have kept Easter Eggers. None of them had an issue with the cold ever.
There was only one breed ever that did less than perfect with cold, and that was the OEG bantams. About 10ish of them were great with cold, but one individual that I still own just flat out hates cold. She'll come running and try and crawl into my coat. So, mushy chicken keeper I am, I let her warm herself up in my coat whenever I go out there. She also gets the luxury of coming inside if it goes below -20*F.

There was only one breed ever that did less than perfect with cold, and that was the OEG bantams. About 10ish of them were great with cold, but one individual that I still own just flat out hates cold. She'll come running and try and crawl into my coat. So, mushy chicken keeper I am, I let her warm herself up in my coat whenever I go out there. She also gets the luxury of coming inside if it goes below -20*F.

A little on the spoiled/well loved side of things? :p

Back
Top Bottom