What scraps do YOU feed your flock in winter?

Mine are real picky . Don't like yogurt , turned nose up at baked sweet potato . Nibbled on cooked rice a tad . Did eat Turkey leftover . Won't eat canned dog food (the expensive kind) . Did like carrots & peas. Do like cooked egg! Do like popcorn in very small amounts .Still attempting leftovers .,

We have 5 kids, and give the chickens whatever is left on the kids' plates 🤣. Also all veggie cutoffs, occasional roast chicken/turkey carcasses (but not often because the dogs roam with the chickens), they love shrimp, and will peck away at a carrot for days...
Our intention is not to "dilute" the nutrition that they get from their feed, but I *love* not feeling wasteful with our scraps/leftovers - and I like to think that they're pretty nutritious!

My 2 and 3 yo's are "picky" eaters bc I seldom gave them scraps when they were young. About the only treats they will eat is a little scratch and mealworms. They will kill for dried mealworms, lol. I have been giving the littles a more varied diet, but only in small amounts. So far they have had a little lettuce, tomato, an eaten corn on the cob (yum, they said!), watermelon, pumpkin, yogurt with oatmeal in it, some sourdough bread. Now when I toss anything out there, they are on it like vultures on roadkill!

Back
Top Bottom