What settings for lockdown?

The one with no movement is the one I didn't put a safety hole in...Im following the guide here for the call ducks, so safety hole at internal pip, then open up 12 hours later...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/assisting-call-duck-hatches.76507/
20210422_095712.jpg

The one with no movement is the one I didn't put a safety hole in...Im following the guide here for the call ducks, so safety hole at internal pip, then open up 12 hours later...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/assisting-call-duck-hatches.76507/
View attachment 2629819
Also if you have q-tips, tiny paint brushes, or a small makeup brush, it works really well with reappling moisture to the membrane. With my one egg that needed assistance, I'd say it took 6 hours of me wetting the membrane with a q-tip and I did that every 30 minutes. Call ducks are smaller so hopefully they absorb all those veins and yolk faster.

The one with no internal pip amd no movement...I just opened up and the poor thing is shrinkwrapped! It's making breathing movements but looks like head tucked under and it's upside down, head wasn't in the largest part of the air sac. I put coconut oil on it and put it back in the bator. Hoping it will pip through. The other two I wet the membranes again and put them back in. The veins are receding a lot and they're peeping pretty loud. Not yawning or chewing anymore so hoping they do their job! This is the shrinkwrapped one...cross fingers. Had a hard time figuring out what to do on that, but I'd seen lots of shadowing and pushing for two days then it just stopped. Found out it was because of shrinkwrapping, which makes no sense since all the eggs were in the same bator! Is there such a thing as helping it make an internal pip in 12 hours?
20210422_114342.jpg

The one with no internal pip amd no movement...I just opened up and the poor thing is shrinkwrapped! It's making breathing movements but looks like head tucked under and it's upside down, head wasn't in the largest part of the air sac. I put coconut oil on it and put it back in the bator. Hoping it will pip through. The other two I wet the membranes again and put them back in. The veins are receding a lot and they're peeping pretty loud. Not yawning or chewing anymore so hoping they do their job! This is the shrinkwrapped one...cross fingers. Had a hard time figuring out what to do on that, but I'd seen lots of shadowing and pushing for two days then it just stopped. Found out it was because of shrinkwrapping, which makes no sense since all the eggs were in the same bator! Is there such a thing as helping it make an internal pip in 12 hours? View attachment 2629869
Internal pipping is just when it pokes through the membrane, like you said it was shrink wrapped. Keep wetting the membrane with coconut oil until enough veins have receded to tear off a piece of membrane. If it starts bleeding, just apply pressure with a q-tip until it stops. My duckling bled when I helped it from the shell, they will be born weaker than their siblings but eventually will get their strength.

I'm glad I helped the shrinkwrapped one. Discovered it's bill tucked under one of its feet! Got its bill free, hopefully it'll do the rest.
20210422_122434.jpg

Very dead, I tried rubbing it, peeping, everything...no movements. On the plus side, the other two got their heads out and are resting up and hopefully will do the rest themselves. The one with the foot tucked over its bill, I manouvered the head out and it looks weaker than its siblings but crossing fingers. Looks like that one will need TLC. Bit I checked and both the ones that got their heads out by themselves have no yolk left, so I'm just going to leave them be and get out.

Here's the link to the insta vid.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN-fdQFh16a/?igshid=163evwz1pujxp

Update...weak one is still very weak, and has yolk left. One of the others tried to get out of the shell and I noticed it's belly was still attached, so I got him back in (he's not happy) to try and get it to dry off and detach. The second one has gotten his wings out but still sitting in shell, both exhausted and sleeping. Doesn't look great for the weak one but I'm hoping.

Back
Top Bottom