What sex are these african geese??????

Hmmm

We do not appear to have the distinction between Dewlap and/or Super African here in the UK. I would think the Super African term arose from the trade to sell the slightly larger strains.

Pete
wink.png

The 50ib ones are the true africans. The ones you get from hatcheries are poorly bred chinese but they've been breeding them for so long like that they're kind of there own thing. Many places will tell you they are called 'giant dewlap' or 'super' africans but they really are the only true africans. Ask any old shower and they will tell you. (We recently got some from holdereads and we're so exited!)

I think they got these from someone who breeds them, they told them they were African geese, but I don't think they really care if they are purebred.. they were more intrested in if they were male or female. 2 pair would be awesome! time will tell.. I just know they are huge!!! this picture was taken several weeks ago and they are bigger now! They are so neat, and my neighbor goes out and talks to them, she loves them! Thanks for all the input! I will post more pictures when I go visit again.

I recently aquired a Super African. A guy had to get rid of him so I was more then happy to take this goose along with an Amer. Buff which is a female. Now, I don't know what sex the Super African is. It was hatched 6/20 and was purchased from Metzer Farms. It was a straight run pick. I took the best pictures I could to see if anyone can tell by looking at him/her. I was wondering if they had pointed feathers if they were a male. I wonder this only because roosters have pointed saddle feathers where a hen doesn't and wondered if that also applies to geese. Like I said, I was wondering. This not so little goose doesn't like getting too close to people or having other birds get to close to him. The buff is very friendly and doesn't mind either. I'm hoping the Super African will settle in and not be so stand offish or aggressive to the other birds, he's just so young to be territorial. I'm hoping it's just fear because he is in a new home.

45848_8-15-2011bd_2.jpg

Notice pointed feathers. This was taken this evening.

45848_8-10-2011.jpg

This was taken 5 days ago when I got the goose.

Any thoughts to what sex this goose is? Do the females have pointed feathers too? I have to say they are beautiful. I just love the colors.

Quote:
Production Africans do not get that big, you need to look at the 'hatchery' stock to see what this person has. The ones you are talking about are referred to as dewlap Africans.

When I show Africans we call them Africans not Dewlap Africans... the ones most people have are Production africans... Which have chinese in them and a Africans shouldn't weigh anywhere near 50lbs... The only place I have seen Africans called 'Super Africans' is Metzers

well all i know is that APA shown are 50ibs and mine are 50ibs so i guess we should just agree to disagree?

Quote:
Do you have pictures? I would love to see a goose that size. It must be awesome. I have a 1 1/2 month old Super African but I don't really know how big he/she will get. I don't know the sex to name it yet either.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have the standard right in front of me...

Old Gander.......22lbs
Young Gander..18lbs

Old Goose.......18lbs
Young Goose..15lbs

So technically if you seen 50lb Africans at a Show that werent DQed they need new Judges.

I would still like to know if anyone can tell the sex of my goose. Do you have to wait till they become adults to figure it out? I was hoping maybe feather shape or color would help but I don't know. Someone must.

Back
Top Bottom