What sex are these chicks!?

AmberSmol

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Texas
I am a first time chicken owner and I have read so much in preparation for my new babies. It has been two weeks now and everything is going well. I purchased two Americana's and two Golden sex link's. The woman at the feed store assured me they were most likely all female but she also cautioned that they do receive an occasional rooster every now and then by accident.
They are two weeks old yesterday and was just curious if anyone could tell the sex of them. Thanks!!

This is Ginger

This one is Peaches

The smallest of them all Clove (also the most curious)

And Lastly Pepper. For some reason his/her chirp is more raspy than the others. I have a feeling this is a rooster though I could be wrong.

If you find you need different angle, let me know which chick and I will gladly provide one!

Clove and Pepper definitely look like pullets to me! However, if Ginger and Peaches are golden sex-links, I would say rooster. GSL females are mostly red with white tail feathers/speckled white neck...males are mostly white with red patches, which your two look like to me.

Last edited:
They are still young but females feather out faster and that's what makes me think pullets. They will change in looks in the next 2-3 weeks and you will be able to tell better. Go Team Pullets!!! :D

Just to add - you Ameraucanas are actually Easter Eggers
smile.png

I'm guessing all female, too.

And just a side-note: Clove and Pepper aren't actually Ameraucanas. They are mixes called Easter Eggers, who probably are part Ameraucana. I've only been raising chickens for just over a year now, and I got some of those and they were also labeled Ameraucana. They were wrong, and BYC was sure to tell me that when I posted pictures of my chicks. :)

Nothing wrong with that, though. Mine looked just like yours and are beautiful as adults and lay pretty blue eggs. Actually, my profile picture is one of the two I have. I love them. :)

Back
Top Bottom