What sex/breeds do you think?

viktoriacl

Songster
12 Years
Jun 23, 2010

These are 5 weeks. Some came from green eggs and some brown. Not sure what the green layers were bred with. Any thoughts? There are 4 total. Two are the chipmunk colors, one is white and one is orange and whit. So far all their legs are yellow. A couple are getting a bit gray. Thanks!

Last edited:
The chicks in pictures 1 the red and white, and 5/8 the most reddish one so far look like boys to me, the blue red looks like a girl, the white one is iffy, would say maybe boy but could be girl.

Number 1 is the one that is making me nervous. It's legs are thicker and it just has "The Look."

You have barnyard mix chickens. Since they're all mutts, it will be almost impossible to tell you the mixes, except with the birds that came from the green eggs. The green eggs were laid by Easter Eggers, so the offspring may or may not be EEs depending on whether or not they inherit the blue egg gene. You'll have an idea which ones inherited the blue egg gene by the presence of a pea comb or modified pea. If they inherited the blue egg gene, they will probably get beards eventually even if they don't hatch with one. As for gender--see below.
Cockerel. That's too much comb for a five week old pullet, and he's getting wattles already. 100% boy.

Don't know about this one. Too early to tell.

Not sure on this one, but leaning cockerel due to the patchiness of the color pattern. But give it a few weeks, then ask again.

Cockerel, 100%. See those red feathers coming in on his shoulders, and that red comb?
If I had to take a guess right now, I'd say you have four cockerels. But wait a bit on the white one and the blue-red one and ask again in a few weeks.

Cockerel, he looks like a Golden or red sex link.

These are 5 weeks. Some came from green eggs and some brown. Not sure what the green layers were bred with. Any thoughts? There are 4 total. Two are the chipmunk colors, one is white and one is orange and whit. So far all their legs are yellow. A couple are getting a bit gray. Thanks!Maybe a white plymouth rock, pullet.

Welsummer, pullet

"

I think it's another Welsummer, pullet.

White plymouth rock pullet ^

Read my comments :)

Read my comments :)

There's no possible way that the first bird is a Red Sex Link cockerel. RSL cockerels are WHITE. That's the sex-linked part.

Now, I have seen cockerels with this coloring before, and they were RSL crosses. Since RSL is just a cross-bred hybrid bird, not a breed, they don't breed true. So it could have RSL in its ancestry, but it is definitely not a RSL.

Last edited:
Does it help any to tell you what color eggs they came from? If so the blue one came from a green egg. The one with similar coloring as the blue one was from a tan egg, The obvious roo came from a tan egg and the white one from a green egg. The blue has a very dark chest almost black. Is that a male coloring trait? I cant keep roos. Was hoping for more girls. The obvious roo is the only one with thicker leggs. All the other look the same. 100% on the one with the red shoulders huh? Sad!

You have barnyard mix chickens. Since they're all mutts, it will be almost impossible to tell you the mixes, except with the birds that came from the green eggs. The green eggs were laid by Easter Eggers, so the offspring may or may not be EEs depending on whether or not they inherit the blue egg gene. You'll have an idea which ones inherited the blue egg gene by the presence of a pea comb or modified pea. If they inherited the blue egg gene, they will probably get beards eventually even if they don't hatch with one. As for gender--see below.
If I had to take a guess right now, I'd say you have four cockerels. But wait a bit on the white one and the blue-red one and ask again in a few weeks.
I totally missed what you posted above! I agree that they would be barnyard mixes. I have 5 EEs from MPC that do not all have tufts or beards. A couple do. It will be a bummer if there are 4 boys because I can't keep them. I'll hold out hope for the white and blue/red ones. I had to assist the red/blue one from the egg it was breech. It response to my voice every time and comes right over to me. If I had to pick one to be a girl that would be the one! Fingers crossed! Thanks! I'll post again in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom