What sex is my Silkie?

Most black birds have a green sheen to them, it is not gender specific.😊
Here is my Polkie pullet as an example.
7B16B84F-33AB-4537-B0AC-BF478157BDAB.jpeg

Oh my goodness! So a Polish and Silkie crossed would throw this? Gorgeous!!! Is this one broody like a Silkie?
Yeah she’s one of my favorite birds actually, she was an accidental hatch! Slipped one of the polish eggs in a silkie hatch by mistake. So far she has not been broody. She only started laying about two months ago. Her Polish mama is not broody at all!🤣
She’s actually been a very good layer, hoping she takes after the Polish side of the family. I just hatched a bunch of her chicks though, that are 3/4 silkie and 1/4 Polish!😊

Yeah she’s one of my favorite birds actually, she was an accidental hatch! Slipped one of the polish eggs in a silkie hatch by mistake. So far she has not been broody. She only started laying about two months ago. Her Polish mama is not broody at all!🤣
She’s actually been a very good layer, hoping she takes after the Polish side of the family. I just hatched a bunch of her chicks though, that are 3/4 silkie and 1/4 Polish!😊
I only have one Polish hen and I've found the same. She's a wonderful layer and not broody. She's a bit bossy to her flockmates, but overall an awesome bird. I have the sweetest blue Silkie rooster ever. He's dark blue. I've noticed some people with similar birds call them black, but either way, I suspect they'd have black chicks as the Polish is black. So I should end up with a similar bird?

I only have one Polish hen and I've found the same. She's a wonderful layer and not broody. She's a bit bossy to her flockmates, but overall an awesome bird. I have the sweetest blue Silkie rooster ever. He's dark blue. I've noticed some people with similar birds call them black, but either way, I suspect they'd have black chicks as the Polish is black. So I should end up with a similar bird?
Yes I imagine they would look quite similar. This girl came from a beardless white capped black polish mom and a bearded recessive white silkie dad. Smooth feathering, feathered legs, bearded or partially bearded depending on the parents.
Here’s another photo of her from the front.
84270206-A692-4873-A01B-A81E4C14F58B.jpeg

I crossed her with a paint silkie male and half the chicks came out paint and the other half black😊
Sorry OP for hijacking your thread…:oops:

Yes I imagine they would look quite similar. This girl came from a beardless white capped black polish mom and a bearded recessive white silkie dad. Smooth feathering, feathered legs, bearded or partially bearded depending on the parents.
Here’s another photo of her from the front.View attachment 2870572
I crossed her with a paint silkie male and half the chicks came out paint and the other half black😊
😍 No worries, what a gorgeous baby, never seen a Polkie before

Here’s another photo of her from the front.View attachment 2870572
I just love her! She is just gorgeous!

@Xhynokei - did you ever figure out the gender of the silkie?
I'm a little late to the thread.. I saw it was originally posted in October.
Do you have updated pictures of the silkie?

Sorry if you already did an update - I read through the thread pretty quickly so I may have missed a thing or two.

@Xhynokei - did you ever figure out the gender of the silkie?
I'm a little late to the thread.. I saw it was originally posted in October.
Do you have updated pictures of the silkie?

Sorry if you already did an update - I read through the thread pretty quickly so I may have missed a thing or two.
Pretty confident she's a he, only because she started crowing even more. Still looks basically the same other than the comb getting slightly bigger, and still no wattles though

Here's a video of the crow (hope the link works) It still sounds quite pathetic at the moment XD

Back
Top Bottom