What sex you think ?

Chy19

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2019
received_2355575664684654.jpeg
received_2940201649384026.jpeg

I haven't heard either one do a buck wheat call I can tell my other two apart but not these two. I've heard the white one do a male call but saw it eating oyster shell the other day and the first day I got it my male attacked it. The purple one makes this random call out but I've never heard it before it's like a squeal. My other guineas like to attack these two and they become submissive and make those low key eep eep noise. Now my other two guineas like to pick on these two so I dont know what these are the whites supposed to be male purple female I've heard the purple try to make the loud one syllable call also so I'm not sure :/ any comment opinion appreciated !

I haven't heard either one do a buck wheat call I can tell my other two apart but not these two. I've heard the white one do a male call but saw it eating oyster shell the other day and the first day I got it my male attacked it. The purple one makes this random call out but I've never heard it before it's like a squeal. My other guineas like to attack these two and they become submissive and make those low key eep eep noise. Now my other two guineas like to pick on these two so I dont know what these are the whites supposed to be male purple female I've heard the purple try to make the loud one syllable call also so I'm not sure :/ any comment opinion appreciated !
Unfortunately guineas cannot be accurately sexed from pictures.

The big cupped wattles are claimed to belong to males but there are people who have hens that have big cupped wattles. The males are supposed to have bigger casques but a female Pearl Gray can have a bigger casque than a male Coral Blue will have.

The true test is that if it lays an egg, it is a hen. The "buckwheat" is a very good indicator. Hens can make all the male calls but males are not supposed to be able to make the "buckwheat" call.

There are postures that can indicate the sex but they may not work on low pecking order submissives.

Unfortunately guineas cannot be accurately sexed from pictures.

The big cupped wattles are claimed to belong to males but there are people who have hens that have big cupped wattles. The males are supposed to have bigger casques but a female Pearl Gray can have a bigger casque than a male Coral Blue will have.

The true test is that if it lays an egg, it is a hen. The "buckwheat" is a very good indicator. Hens can make all the male calls but males are not supposed to be able to make the "buckwheat" call.

There are postures that can indicate the sex but they may not work on low pecking order submissives.
Hey thank you so much for taking the time to respond I've had so much going on since this post haven't really taken the time to get on here but here I am lol :) I deftinley agree with you pictures are horrible sexing tools lol I ended up keeping it (purple one ) because that was supposed to be a female , for another week and anytime it heard my for sure female guinea it and the White ( I was told white one was male) which seems right , started doing the shriek call lol, the White has never buck wheat and I've had it for a month now so pretty sure it is a male. The purple one im pretty sure was a male too due to the fact it would get in talking mode with the white one and never do any kind of other noises. So I ended up trading for another purple that was more certain female and by that night it was doing buck wheat noises.So the White still shrills and that's it so pretty sure that white one is a male and the one that was in the pic above the purple one male also but now I have FEMALE just swapped for another purple yay lol.

100 % agree lol thought maybe out there somebody was a sexing genius, but I literally only rely on noises :)
There are other behaviors that can be useful in identifying the sex of a guinea but they also require the guineas to be adults and paying attention to their behavior.

Hens will look straight at you, cocks will look at you from the side as they sidle around you.

In adult pairs, the cock will lay down and the hen will wander in a circle around him.

The cock will stand erect keeping a lookout when his hen is on her nest unless he happens to have other hens to attend to.

Adult guineas can be vent sexed if you know what you are looking for. The physical difference of their sexual anatomy is most pronounced when the hens are laying eggs.

When hens are laying or about to begin laying, their "bustles" will be raised. The cocks will have a smooth back line while the hen's back feathers will appear to be elevated above their wings to the rear of their body. This look only occurs to hens and only when they are laying or about to begin laying. The rest of the year their back lines will appear normal just like the males.

Back
Top Bottom