What shade of brown eggs do Orpingtons lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happymom99, Feb 4, 2012.

1. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    I know Orpingtons lay a brown egg, but is it brown like grocery store egg brown or a lighter brown than that? I had a Wyandotte that layed a very light almost cream colored brown egg. Someone at a feed store told me that Orpingtons do, too. I just wanted to get confirmation here.

Thanks,
    CJ

2. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I have three Buff Orp girls.They all have light brown eggs, but the shades are different. We can tell which egg belongs to what chicken!

3. happymom99

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Great to hear! Would you say they are almost cream colored or is it much darker than that?

4. Foggyhens

Foggyhens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    California
    My 3 Buffies lay light brown eggs. I would describe the color as kind of pink in tone. Pretty. :)

5. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    One girl lays a cream egg. The other two girls lay a little bit darker eggs. But, they are all lighter than the brown eggs at my local super market.

I hope that helps.

6. happymom99

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Great to hear. Thank you so much! :)

7. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    My blue orps lay a creamy tan colored egg, and the buffs lay a slightly browner egg, but still lighter than the grocery store eggs.

8. Alexia

Alexia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    My orpington lays a light cream color egg. Much lighter than the ones you find at the supermarket. She is also a great layer. You can expect lots of eggs.

9. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    My 31 week old BO's all lay a light tan colored egg and they're big:) Much lighter then store bought. My RIR's lay like the store bought brown eggs. My young 24 week old BO laid her first today and if I did not know for sure that she laid it, I would have thought one of the EE's laid. It was very light, like a creamy pink color. Boy was she proud, told everyone, for a very long time:) Gotta love Bo's [​IMG]

10. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

The pear shaped light tan eggs on the left are Wyandotte and the oval shaped ones are from Buff Orpingtons. Each one has a slightly different shade. The ones on the right are from silkies. My bearded silkies lay the tan ones and the non-bearded lays the darker ones. What I find interesting about BO eggs is they seem to change color slightly when refridgerated.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by