What shade of brown eggs do Orpingtons lay?

happymom99

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2011
California
I know Orpingtons lay a brown egg, but is it brown like grocery store egg brown or a lighter brown than that? I had a Wyandotte that layed a very light almost cream colored brown egg. Someone at a feed store told me that Orpingtons do, too. I just wanted to get confirmation here.

Thanks,
CJ

My blue orps lay a creamy tan colored egg, and the buffs lay a slightly browner egg, but still lighter than the grocery store eggs.

My orpington lays a light cream color egg. Much lighter than the ones you find at the supermarket. She is also a great layer. You can expect lots of eggs.

My 31 week old BO's all lay a light tan colored egg and they're big:) Much lighter then store bought. My RIR's lay like the store bought brown eggs. My young 24 week old BO laid her first today and if I did not know for sure that she laid it, I would have thought one of the EE's laid. It was very light, like a creamy pink color. Boy was she proud, told everyone, for a very long time:) Gotta love Bo's
love.gif

The pear shaped light tan eggs on the left are Wyandotte and the oval shaped ones are from Buff Orpingtons. Each one has a slightly different shade. The ones on the right are from silkies. My bearded silkies lay the tan ones and the non-bearded lays the darker ones. What I find interesting about BO eggs is they seem to change color slightly when refridgerated.

Back
Top Bottom