What should a newbie start with?

The reason it is so confusing is that there is no one right answer. We are all different with different goals, different climates, and totally different situations. Others have gone through what I consider the more important pros and cons. No need for me to repeat but my suggestion would be the be chicks or started pullets. Some people start with mature hens but I think they come with more downsides as pets.

Knowing your climate is extremely important in how many. Do you live in the tropics or where snow and cold wind is going to restrict them from being in the run a lot? Also, will the run be set up where at least part of it is protected from cold wind and snow if you are in a truly cold climate? Even knowing what country you are in might help with specific suggestions.

Knowing no more than coop and run size and your goals of eggs and pets, I'd suggest you start with no more than six. Four might not be a bad number, I don't know how many eggs you want. There will be a learning curve. The more you crowd them the more likely you are to have behavioral problems, the harder you will have to work, and the less flexibility you have to handle issues that pop up. I value flexibility more than anything else. Make it as easy on yourself as you can as you go through the learning curve. It doesn't do you or the chickens any good if you hate dealing with them so I think your comfort and stress levels are very important.

Welcome!
I also think that starting with four to six would be best. Because of problems that can occur with older birds (diseases!) I think that starting with chicks is generally best.
Look at Henderson's breed chart, feathersite, and some of the better catalogs, to get ideas. Depending on your climate and outside space, best breed choices will vary a bit.
Then, maybe your local farm store will have some you are interested in getting, or you can order from a hatchery.
Keep reading, and asking, and have fun!
Mary

I started with 7 from Meyers This fall. We have a 6 x6 coop. Unfortunately, the Easter Egger turned into a cockerel and was my littlest daughters chicken which she adored, so he had to be replaced. He got replaced by four more chicks from the feed store, barred rocks. I have 4 kids, they each lobbied for another chick:lau. We then expanded the run a little more just for comfort. Everyone has room and I probably have room for 2 more, but we will stay at 10.
Good luck! One thing I wished I would have thought of more is a colored egg basket. We focused on friendly breeds, not really what color eggs they lay. I want a black french copper Marans now so bad lol and am sad our colored egg layer turned into a Roo. Good luck!

Last edited:
I bought 5 six to eight weeks old started pullets (Buff Orpington, Dominique, Barred Rock, Red Sex Link and Easter Egger) for my nephew and his oldest son last May. They had never had chickens and this worked well for them. These breeds tend to be docile and hardy and handle any newbie caregiver mistakes a bit better. All the birds have thrived and are doing well. And my nephews have enjoyed them and want to expand their flock at some point. Thus, I have successfully passed down chicken math as a family tradition which makes me happy.

I would buy an incubator and buy fertile eggs or get them of someone you know.and start from there. That's what I've done. And now the first eggs I hatched are now pullets laying eggs. I've killed few roosters along the way.I ate them and gave a few away.but it's fun doing it that way.
Personally I find the incubator/hatching route to be very intimidating. So many posts here about struggling with humidity settings and chicks that need assistance to hatch and deformed chicks and the like. Maybe some day....but not as my first go around for sure! That's just me knowing my own stress levels.

Yep, it's like getting a sip of water out of a fire hose!
You're gonna get soaked!
There's a lot of differing techniques that can all work, and there's a lot of 'bad' advice too.
It's hard to choose when you're just learning.
Take some deep breaths and start to keep some notes....I used a word doc so I could search it and edit....heading like coop, roosts, nests, feeders, etc can help organize your info.

I started with a mixed age and gendered flock.....they came with pests(lice and scaly leg mites) and disease(mild respiratory). We all survived, and I got eggs right away, but it's something to keep in mind.

Chicks will need heat, but are 'clean'(if from a reputable hatchery/farm store) and a lot of fun to watch grow.

The 4x8 coop will limit your population.......depending on your run configuration and your climate.

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Charjeanne
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 2013036

If your just getting your feet wet I'd start with point of lay pullets or 1-2 year old hens. 6-8 would be the max for a 4x8 coop.

Thanks everyone for the pros and cons-- that helped a lot. i think i will be going with pullets and probably half of what i originally planned. Next step i guess would be to see what is available in my area. btw I live in the deep south, Mobile, Alabama. :frow
I've been there quite a few times when my husband was in the Navy stationed in Pensacola. Now i'm in Ohio and moving to Connecticut in a few months.. Good decisions about going with pullets and starting with smaller numbers! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom