What should I do about Bob? - Updated

FrontPorchIndiana

Songster
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Indiana
Bob seems to have some issues with social skills.

DSC_5763.jpg

I can't keep him with his brothers that are being held in a separate pen until it's time to go to freezer camp. For whatever reason they don't like him. I watched them chase him around until he finally found a hole in the ground where he hid his head from them. I felt bad for him so I decided he could stay after all. He really is a sweet bird and not even a little bit aggressive to me. He loves to sit in my lap and be petted. Problem is, so does his other brother Hermie. Whom I love. Hermie is kind to the girls and is a good protector of them. But when I put Bob in with Hermie and the girls, Hermie starts getting freaked out. It's like he's on protective overdrive.

Bob doesn't help matters by trying to, well you know, with the girls only it's clear he has NO clue what he's doing. He also likes to occasionally goose Hermie and his sisters. I've never seen Bob intentionally being mean, but he does inflict pain with his goofy behavior. Because of that they all run from him. It got so bad they would all go inside the coop and Bob would have to stay outside all by himself. I have him separated into his own temporary little coop and run now. Everyone seems happier, but I'm worried Bob's going to get lonely.

So is there any hope I'll be able to integrate him back in the flock? Or do I need to build him a bachelor pad? I really don't want to get rid of him.

Last edited:
Bob's too cute to not have a girlfriend. How many of you ladies out there have a man only you and his mama could love? Goofballs need love too.

Reminds me of the movie "What About Bob".
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif

I'm just cracking up thinking back to the prom. Bob's in the corner watching all the "popular" cocks dance.

That is... Until he meets the hen that never got picked for the girls soccer team or the cheerleading squad.

There she was. Their eyes meet...the music plays...(the chicken dance, of course)...beak to beak....they fall in love...

....And you finish the rest of the story....

gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

AWE Bob is so sweet,,,,I am glad he is not going to freezer camp. I had a couple roos that were at the bottom of the totem pole. They would pretty much have to stay in the coop or close to the coop all day to stay away from alpha roo. But as soon as alpha roo turned his back and there was a hen around boy they would work fast. It is like their whole day was watching the alpha roo so as soon as he wasnt paying full attention they could get a chance at one of the hens. That poor alpha roo would be running from one end of the yard to the other trying to round up all the hens and watch the gangster boys. As soon as he would take care of one problem a hen would decide to go off on her own and he would have to run back across the yard.

Back
Top Bottom