What should I do about her?

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
I'm getting a little worried about one of our ducks as she's not spending as much time with her flock mates as usual during free range time. I've checked her over many times over the last few days and there's nothing wrong with her health or body.

A little info:
Duchess, our 2 year old Indian Runner duck has been with Colonel, our 2 year old Khaki Campbell drake since they were ducklings. Last year, I got another female duckling(Kaeda) to add and once she was old enough to, I put her in with the two. This year, I allowed Duchess sit on hers and Kaeda's eggs and she did incubate them for 2 weeks and then one of our chickens took over and managed to hatch 1 egg and we nicknamed the duckling: Lil' Quack. A day later, my dad managed to find a breeder who hatched out Welsh Harlequins and despite not knowing about the breed, he actually managed to get 2 female ducklings. All 3 youngsters are now just about 5 months old.
Colonel, Kaeda, Lil' Quack, Pinto, and Banshee now hang out like a little family while Duchess is almost always by herself or with the chickens.

This is only happening during free range time.
I mostly keep them locked up in their yard during the day and let them out in the evening.

What should I do?

I'm getting a little worried about one of our ducks as she's not spending as much time with her flock mates as usual during free range time. I've checked her over many times over the last few days and there's nothing wrong with her health or body.

A little info:
Duchess, our 2 year old Indian Runner duck has been with Colonel, our 2 year old Khaki Campbell drake since they were ducklings. Last year, I got another female duckling(Kaeda) to add and once she was old enough to, I put her in with the two. This year, I allowed Duchess sit on hers and Kaeda's eggs and she did incubate them for 2 weeks and then one of our chickens took over and managed to hatch 1 egg and we nicknamed the duckling: Lil' Quack. A day later, my dad managed to find a breeder who hatched out Welsh Harlequins and despite not knowing about the breed, he actually managed to get 2 female ducklings. All 3 youngsters are now just about 5 months old.
Colonel, Kaeda, Lil' Quack, Pinto, and Banshee now hang out like a little family while Duchess is almost always by herself or with the chickens.

This is only happening during free range time.
I mostly keep them locked up in their yard during the day and let them out in the evening.

What should I do?
Im not to experinced in ducks, but is duchess getting beat up by the others? She could be isolating herself

Were Kaeda, Lil' Quack, Pinto, and Banshee recently introduced to the flock or have they been together the entire time?
Kaeda has been with the flock for a year. I got her last year as a duckling as I stated at the beginning of my post.
Lil' Quack, Pinto, and Banshee were introduced to Duchess and Kaeda when they were 4 weeks old and then introduced to Colonel a few weeks later during a heat wave since he wasn't trying to mate with anyone. Those 3 youngsters are now just about 5 months old.

Kaeda has been with the flock for a year. I got her last year as a duckling as I stated at the beginning of my post.
Lil' Quack, Pinto, and Banshee were introduced to Duchess and Kaeda when they were 4 weeks old and then introduced to Colonel a few weeks later during a heat wave since he wasn't trying to mate with anyone. Those 3 youngsters are now just about 5 months old.
You mentioned Kaedas introduction, but not when the youngest ones were introduced just their ages. New flock introductions can drastically change flock dynamics and it takes time to establish the new pecking orders. Especially if Colonel is paying particular attention to the new hens I would say Duchess's behavior is fairly normal. Everytime I introduce new ducklings (every year) to my flock the cliques and groups change a little. I have several hens who started off a group and now they all wander off when out free ranging. I would still keep an eye on her, but if she is otherwise is good health I would just let her do her thing.

You mentioned Kaedas introduction, but not when the youngest ones were introduced just their ages. New flock introductions can drastically change flock dynamics and it takes time to establish the new pecking orders. Especially if Colonel is paying particular attention to the new hens I would say Duchess's behavior is fairly normal. Everytime I introduce new ducklings (every year) to my flock the cliques and groups change a little. I have several hens who started off a group and now they all wander off when out free ranging. I would still keep an eye on her, but if she is otherwise is good health I would just let her do her thing.
I find it weird since Duchess never reacted to Kaeda being introduced last year.
It's been a couple months since the youngsters have been introduced.

I find it weird since Duchess never reacted to Kaeda being introduced last year.
It's been a couple months since the youngsters have been introduced.
Ducks all have different personalities. A duck may react to one and not another. With people some new introductions result in friendship, some result in enemies and some result in aquaintances but nothing more. Ducks are no different then people when it comes to introductions and whether they bond or react. If she isn't showing signs of an illness there isn't anything you can do unless you would like to take her to a vet to make sure she is okay.

Back
Top Bottom