What should I do???? Day 24 no more pips, next hatch Day 18

lockedhearts

It's All About Chicken Math
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Georgia
Ok, I think the Eggs are done but not sure. I lost myonly Cochin that pipped, the chicks rolled the egg over and I guess he drowned
hit.gif

I got 5 Favorelles

I hvae other eggs that are Day 18 today and 2 of my Phoenix eggs are Day 17 tomorrow.

Should I check the remaining eggs , clean the hatcher and move everyone tomorrow?

Should I clean the hatcher, check eggs and move the Day 18 today and quickly add the 2 Phoenix Monday on the Day 18.

Also wondering about smaller eggs and the egg carton method. I am so tired of losing chicks to them rolling over after pipping. I know the carton method has it's pros & cons.

Do small eggs do ok in the carton, should I put papertowel or something in the bottom so they are not so deep in the carton?

Good morning! I just thought I would tell you what I'm trying this time in my bator. I took an empty paper towel and sliced it into individual 1/4" rings. I set my bantam eggs down in those in the bator. They are much easier to turn this way, plus, as they pip and hatch, they won't be rolling around either. For my standard eggs, I cut the rings 1/2". I've got the following eggs incubating this way: 8 BOs - all developing, 7 Blue Bantam Cochins - 6 developing, and 8 Delawares - 6 developing (2 are not fertile). I'm afraid to try the egg carton...I'm scared they'll pip at the wrong end. With the rings, they're pliable enough to move a little if needed. Just a suggestion. It's working for me. Good luck on your next hatch!

Last edited:
Thats a thought. I ended up candling the remaining eggs and all were dead.
he.gif

If I can find a toilet paper or paper towel holder that the puppies haven't shredded to bits I think I will try that.

Where did you get the Blue Bantam Cochins?

I got the BBCs from a fellow BYC member. I am making a pictoral album of her eggs, from shipping to hatching. When the chicks hatch, I will help promote her stock. She's been "tweeking" her stock for a couple of years, and now has the quality she was striving for. I expect these babies to be gorgeous! They're due to hatch on the 8th, so keep a look out for my post about them.

Back
Top Bottom