What should i do? Snake

Shoptopodi

Songster
May 17, 2018
I saw a snake today morning on back porch stairs. Checking online, I'm thinking it's a black racer. I don'tknow where it came from or went. My chickens made sound and stared at it when it was within seeing limit, now they are normal, eating and playful.we r living in this house for one year and this is the first time i saw any snake. I'm pretty shaked up. I need your help to suggest me what to do. Pls tell me if i should take any caution or what? Thanks.
Screenshot_20180714-111137_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20180714-111132_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20180714-111122_Gallery.jpg

Unfortunately, you're going to see snakes,I live next next to a heavily wooded area in Pennsylvania, I've never had an issue with snakes,I've seen a few but they've never bothered my chickens and my chickens free range all day.
I have a barn cat as well,she was fighting with a garter snake two weeks ago.
I don't think smaller snakes would waste their energy going after a larger animal,only because snakes swallow their prey whole.

Not sure where you are located so I don't know what varieties of snakes are common where you are. Assuming you are in the US what little I can see does not look like a poisonous snake. The body shape is not right. So yes, probably a black racer or black rat snake, though there are other possibilities. Do you have an estimate as to how long it was?

Snakes will eat eggs and baby chicks. As long as they are not poisonous or in my coop I leave them alone. Poisonous snakes I kill. They eat things I don't want around, such as mice. Supposedly a black racer of black rat snake will eat a smaller poisonous snake but I'm not sure how often that actually happens. King snakes certainly will if you are lucky enough to have one of those around. I think they do a lot more good than harm, though I'll admit being surprised by one can get your heart pumping. They are highly unlikely to bite you or harm you in any way unless you step on them or somehow threaten them. So the main thing when you see one is to leave it alone. I have sprayed one with a water hose when it was hanging around on my porch. It left and I did not see it much after that.

The best way to try to reduce snakes around your house is to remove any trash or places they can hide. They are probably looking for food. Trash piles, wood piles, heavy vegetation, things like that make good places for mice, chipmunks, and other things they like to eat to hide. It also gives them cover so they can hide from things that want to eat them. So keep your yard mowed and things cleaned up.

There are snake repellents you can buy. I haven't tried any so I don't know how effective they really are.

Without a view of the head it's hard to identify. When you look at the facts that venomous snakes make up the minority of the species you as a human have little to fear. A snake the size in the picture will most likely leave adult chickens alone. Small chicks and especially eggs are a more likely target. If you're relatively sure it can't get into the coop, I would leave it be. As others have already noted, snakes will rid the area of rodents and other small pests. If it must go, a flat blade shovel is an efficient tool for dispatching from arms length.

Not sure where you are located so I don't know what varieties of snakes are common where you are. Assuming you are in the US what little I can see does not look like a poisonous snake. The body shape is not right. So yes, probably a black racer or black rat snake, though there are other possibilities. Do you have an estimate as to how long it was?

Snakes will eat eggs and baby chicks. As long as they are not poisonous or in my coop I leave them alone. Poisonous snakes I kill. They eat things I don't want around, such as mice. Supposedly a black racer of black rat snake will eat a smaller poisonous snake but I'm not sure how often that actually happens. King snakes certainly will if you are lucky enough to have one of those around. I think they do a lot more good than harm, though I'll admit being surprised by one can get your heart pumping. They are highly unlikely to bite you or harm you in any way unless you step on them or somehow threaten them. So the main thing when you see one is to leave it alone. I have sprayed one with a water hose when it was hanging around on my porch. It left and I did not see it much after that.

The best way to try to reduce snakes around your house is to remove any trash or places they can hide. They are probably looking for food. Trash piles, wood piles, heavy vegetation, things like that make good places for mice, chipmunks, and other things they like to eat to hide. It also gives them cover so they can hide from things that want to eat them. So keep your yard mowed and things cleaned up.

There are snake repellents you can buy. I haven't tried any so I don't know how effective they really are.

Thanks for ur reply. I live in louisiana. It was around 5foot long. It seemed very calm and just looking around. I may use some repellent since it came on my stairs, it may get inside the house.

Without a view of the head it's hard to identify. When you look at the facts that venomous snakes make up the minority of the species you as a human have little to fear. A snake the size in the picture will most likely leave adult chickens alone. Small chicks and especially eggs are a more likely target. If you're relatively sure it can't get into the coop, I would leave it be. As others have already noted, snakes will rid the area of rodents and other small pests. If it must go, a flat blade shovel is an efficient tool for dispatching from arms length.
It has narrow tubular head, i think. I recorded it and cannot upload the file, too big.

Attachments

• 20180714_135228.jpg
    20180714_135228.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for ur reply. I live in louisiana. It was around 5foot long. It seemed very calm and just looking around. I may use some repellent since it came on my stairs, it may get inside the house.
Yeah, looks like it could have went underneath through that screen door of yours!

Back
Top Bottom