what should i do someone complained about my illegal chickens

Attract rats?
barnie.gif
R U kidding me? People who don't properly dispose of their trash attract rats. Rats are amazingly adaptable to human encroachment. If you keep your chickens living quarters reasonably clean, coops and such, and put away their feed at night so as to not attract vermin, I don't think rats would be a major concern. Don't know about your cat population up north, but they make quick work of rodents. I suspect that concern is just a justification to keep chickens out of suburbia....and a big chicken will absolutely give a rat the what-for. Our Rottweiler/Shepherd made the mistake of putting her nose through the wire...she learned to keep back after that. Chickens can be ruthless, especially when something might be on their dinner plate.

welcome to the byc! number 1. obey the law, no matter how silly it seems. number 2. actively work to change the law, through education, and possibly petitions, this is my opinion,I hope you find a way to keep your chickens. good luck!

what happened with your chickens? were you able to find a way to keep them? i have heard of a few different ways to get around the bylaw. they are illegal where i live as well and i recently became a lawbreaker. as far as i know, if your chickens sleep inside at night and are fenced during the day they are considered pets and do not fall under the same restrictions. inside can be the garage not necessarily your house itself. there is also a clause in our town's bylaw that states that you can apply for a special permit for a restricted animal, which is what chickens fall under in our bylaws. a friend of mine had chickens as well and one of her neighbors complained. she got rid of them because she didn't want the stress of fighting the town council. i'm pretty sure just about everyone knows that we have chickens as well because random strangers have mentioned it to people that i know that they know that i have chickens. we have not made it a secret, we have kids and they tell EVERYONE. but i did make sure to have a home lined up before i got the chicks in case we ever do have to get rid of them or if we had been unfortunate enough to get a rooster. i also made it very clear to the kids that what we were doing was breaking a rule and if we were ever caught out on it, we would have to get rid of the chickens. i also learned that there is a lady that lives just down the street from me that has had chickens for the past 25 years and she keeps them in her garage. there is a woman that i talked to in the city close to where we live and they are not allowed chickens either. she has had bylaw come to her house and talk to her neighbors and no one had an issue with them, so they told her they would not fine her or make her get rid of them. i hope you managed to keep your birds.

Back
Top Bottom