what should I do?Update

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by siz8003, Aug 15, 2007.

1. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    I have 9 birds 1/2 are sneezing what should i give them to stop it? poo looks normal no other symptoms. any ideas on this

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Did you change the bedding? I wouldn't worry to much unless they have a colored discharge coming from the nasal area. I would just keep a eye on them for a few days and see if anything changes. Good Luck

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Try a little apple cider vineger in their water.

4. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Or a mashed up clove or 2 of garlic.

5. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    How do I give it to them? when they sneeze they get snot on me does that make a dif?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That doesn't sound good. Where did you get them? How old are they? Are they around any other birds you have?

7. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    well 6 are about 7-8 weeks and 3 are about 17 weeks we have had them all for over a month now they just started this 2 days ago

8. speckledhen

Hard to day if they brought something with them or if they are reacting to dusty bedding, environmental irritants, etc. If they are having a snotty discharge, it most likely is something contagious. Were all those birds together when you got them or did they come from different places? I ask because one group may have given something to the other group.

9. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    the older ones came from a diff place than the babys but do you think it could have taken this long for whatever it is to show itself?

10. speckledhen

It's entirely possible. That's why you should quarantine new birds for at least a month before allowing any contact with the current flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by