What Should I Do With My Broody Hen?

Today was day 7 of the incubation, so we candled the eggs this morning. They all seemed to be developing well except for 3 of them: 9, 11, and 12 (we numbered the eggs 1-12). 12 had an air sac and yolk, and we could faintly see veins. However, it was not as visible as the other ones. 11 had an air sac but no veins at all. I assumed this had never started developing, but we left it inside until our next candling day (10). 9 was the most confusing. It had tiny veins but we couldn't see any embryo. Also, it had what looked like a tiny crack. It was a bright white streak on the side, about 1 inch long. I decided to leave it until day 10, because that was what I was told to do on internet sources. However, when our broody hen went back in, she stared at the eggs for a few seconds, walked away, came back, and promptly rolled 9 out of the nest. It cracked, so we threw it out. Did she do this on purpose, or was it by accident?
Thanks.
I've heard that hens will kick out duds out of the nest. It could have been an accident, but also might not of been. How it was cracked, she might of spotted that and didn't want to risk the nest with it.

Ok. Thanks. What should I do with 11 and 12?
I'd leave them a little bit longer to see if you were missing anything. 11 sounds like a dud to me though. 12 could be late blooming, or an early death. Wait until your next candling or the one after that. If nothing has changed, then maybe remove them from the nest.

I'd leave them a little bit longer to see if you were missing anything. 11 sounds like a dud to me though. 12 could be late blooming, or an early death. Wait until your next candling or the one after that. If nothing has changed, then maybe remove them from the nest.
Thanks!

My broody is doing great. Day 21 is this Friday!
However, I have a problem. Her sister, another English Orpington, went broody. We just learned this today. What should I do? Should I give her fertile eggs? Is there anything against having two hens hatching eggs at the same time?
Thanks for any help

@Lacy Duckwing -- I forgot to update you. 11 and 12 were duds. Currently, there are 9 eggs left.

My broody is doing great. Day 21 is this Friday!
However, I have a problem. Her sister, another English Orpington, went broody. We just learned this today. What should I do? Should I give her fertile eggs? Is there anything against having two hens hatching eggs at the same time?
Thanks for any help
Update: My original broody is still doing well. The sister hen wasn't broody after all. She stayed in the nest for about two days and acted broody, but eventually gave up and joined the others outside. :)

Back
Top Bottom