WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH MY OLD HENS THAT HAVE STOPPED LAYING AS THEY ARE WORTH NO MONEY AND TAKE UP SP

"There's no market for old hens..." Well of course not; you don't want them, why would anybody else?
roll.png

I personally find as much value in their manure as in the eggs-- something they continue to do for as long as they live. But if you need the space for egg-laying hens, give them away to someone who knows what to do with a stewing bird! If you don't want to see them eaten, then give them a nice retirement and keep them around for as long as they live-- but that might be 6 more years if they're healthy!

I recently read about composting chicken bodies for fertilizer. It is strongly recommended if used for fertilizer that it goes on pasture not food crops. There is a chance, if the bones are composted properly, of botulism. I would try to sell them as stewing hens as many producers in the states do. They are cooked long and slow for broth and used in casseroles, soups and chicken salad.

i think putting them to work is a great idea! now can u talk to my kids?
lau.gif

LOL Granny! Mine first...oh wait, they are all grown up now...well, still...

I can hear the conversation now, "Look! You SEE what happens around here when you quit pulling your weight?! Do you REALLY want to be sent out to the compost pile for your meals?!" heheh

Back
Top Bottom