What should i do with these eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mypurtychickens, Nov 15, 2014.

1. mypurtychickens

mypurtychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

i had a hen that was laying on 18 eggs and 7 hatched. i have the rest of the eggs in the incubator. it has been 4 days since the last chick hatched. What should i do with the rest of them, should i dispose of them? If so, how?

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like all that are going to hatch already have. I would give them to a pig or dog to eat.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Are you sure that all the eggs incubation started the same day? Or is it possible that other hens contributed to the nest during the last 3 weeks? Did you candle them?

You can also compost them.

4. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Composting is a good idea if you have a secure composter. You have to be careful about attracting predators.

5. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Yep, I would candle them first to be sure they aren't alive in there. I always like to open mine up that don't hatch to see if I can figure out why/when they died. But that's just me. ;)

6. mypurtychickens

mypurtychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

the hen was up in the top of our barn but it might be possible that some hens layed some more eggs up there but i doubt it. my americauna hens started laying somewhere else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by