What should I do?

Q QUAIL S

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2016
I have a bird that was beat up by my other birds. Her eyes are swollen shut so she can't see. The top of her head is all torn up and I think I can see the skull. What should I do?

Isolate her from the rest. I don't know about the swollen eye, but I once had a quail that was badly pecked at around the skull area. I just sanitize the wounded area and kept her in her own CLEAN cage. Kept her inside the house and she healed in two weeks. Make sure your bird is eating. If it's eating and drinking then I'm sure it will survive.

I advise that you figure out why she was picked on. I put that quail back in the same cage and it ended up the same a few days later. After a second recovery, I put her in with a different flock and everything was good.

She is drinking and eating and I think that she was the same one that got pecked on last time she healed, but it wasn't as bad as this. I have another pen of birds do you think I should put her in with them?

She is drinking and eating and I think that she was the same one that got pecked on last time she healed, but it wasn't as bad as this. I have another pen of birds do you think I should put her in with them?

I'm glad she's eating and drinking. I'm pretty sure she can make it.

I don't want to jump into conclusion - what do you mean another pen of birds? I didn't even ask what type of birds you have - i just assume you are talking about quails since you posted under quails. Are your other birds the same types? Quails? Chicken? Pheasant? Pigeons? There are just some birds you don't want to mix.

If your other pen of birds are the same type, then I say it's your call whether you put her in or not. You know your flocks better than I do. I have 3 quail flocks and they each have their own level of acceptance to new comers. Some pecking should be expected as pecking order needs to be established. If this happened to that bird a second time then i definitely would recommend you removing it from that flock.

Again, I must stress that you try to find out why they are picking on that bird. It could be over crowded, not enough food, not enough protein in their diet, or that one birds just don't fit in - it might think the earth is round and all other birds disagrees, it might believe in a greater entity than the one feeding them every day, who knows?

My other pen of birds is quail, which is two quail. She was separated for about a month when she was pecked on first. I give them plenty of feed. I give them a mix of 22% and 28% feed.

Back
Top Bottom