What should I do?

AndrewP07

Chirping
Aug 17, 2023
So I had a rooster die from unknown causes recently, and I'm starting to think I should do some preventative worming, or something. Is there some kind of once over I can do on my whole flock to make sure they are all healthy? Some of my hens are looking kind of skinny as well. Thanks

So I had a rooster die from unknown causes recently, and I'm starting to think I should do some preventative worming, or something. Is there some kind of once over I can do on my whole flock to make sure they are all healthy? Some of my hens are looking kind of skinny as well. Thanks
If possible, take a sampling of fresh droppings to your vet for a fecal float, this test will tell you if they need deworming.

Basic look over is to check for lice/mites, see that crops are emptying overnight, that they have adequate room in their housing and are eating a nutritionally balanced poultry feed for the majority of their diet.

If you lose another bird in a short period of time and want to find out more about the cause, refrigerate the body and take or send it to your state lab. They will give you are report on their findings. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

If possible, take a sampling of fresh droppings to your vet for a fecal float, this test will tell you if they need deworming.

Basic look over is to check for lice/mites, see that crops are emptying overnight, that they have adequate room in their housing and are eating a nutritionally balanced poultry feed for the majority of their diet.

If you lose another bird in a short period of time and want to find out more about the cause, refrigerate the body and take or send it to your state lab. They will give you are report on their findings. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Do I need to test every chickens droppings? Their coop is a little small, ut we are working on finishing a large shed for them in the next month or 2.

Do I need to test every chickens droppings? Their coop is a little small, ut we are working on finishing a large shed for them in the next month or 2.
No. You would take a sampling. This means gather some fresh droppings from a few different places, usually the easiest way to get a sampling is to go out early and collect overnight droppings from underneath the roosting bars.

Back
Top Bottom