what should i do

chickachickawhat

Songster
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
hartford county ct
im sorry for being so anxious but im getting my chickens in two hours and i need to know what to do with the existing flock. im am getting 3 rirs pullets

ZooZoo

Songster
12 Years
Mar 21, 2007
Northern New Jersey
You can house them in a large dog crate. Or you could use fencing to section out a small area for them. I'm not sure how long they need to be seperated.

@migocontodos~

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Commonwealth of Virginia
To deminish the possiblity of illness being spread from the newbies to your present flock, most will suggest you keep them seperated for a minimum of a month. Though it is unlikely they have any illnesses there still exist the possibility that they may.
And by seperated I mean as far away from your present flock as possible, not confined to one corner of your present coop/run.
Some will even suggest a smaller amount of time, but most think that the longer the time apart the better off the chances of nothing that may potentially be spread will be spreaded.
Enjoy the rirs! They are awesome layers!

hazelton farms

Songster
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
NC
I'd keep em at best, separated a week just to make sure..but if you were at the same place for birds just a week ago, then you'll probably be fine.

Stacy

Top Bottom