What should I do!!???

goody64

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Alto, Michigan
Ok... New issue! I had set up a small pallet in my run to act as a wind break. Long story short, a small pallet fell over and landed on some blocks that I have in front of the coop door. ( broke it's fall a little bit) unfortunately it still landed on one of my girls:( it couldn't have pinned her to the ground for very long. I looked out my window and saw that my ladies were out n about so I decided to go let them walk the yard, by the time I got out to the coop (3 min tops) their she was pinned!
I removed the pallet and she jumped up and went back into the coop. However she was favoring one of her legs. She is now in my garage with food and water and heat lamp. She still will not put a whole lot of weight on her leg, and will not walk anywhere. She has Ben laying in the same spot for 3 days. She is alert and eating and drinking water... But will not move. I clean under her an she has layed one egg since the whole ordeal. What should I do?
She has stood for me recently but still only puts her weight on one leg. Should I consider dinner?

Keep her isolated and encourage her to stay off of her leg by keeping food and water close. You can always consider dinner, but it may not be necessary. I had a similar issue, but she kept trying to walk on it and never got better. When she stopped eating and drinking I knew it was time.

We had a Guinea that somehow injured his leg badly last summer. He gimped around for a month or more before he was finally able to walk properly, but he eventually was back to running full throttle everywhere he went. He was not going to be ok with being isolated while he was injured so we let him go to avoid making his injury worse. As long as your hen is alert and eating and drinking, there is a very strong chance she will heal up and be back to running again. She may have suffered a bad sprain which will take time to fully heal. As long as the leg is not dislocated, it probably is not broken

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

If this was my bird, I would put her in a small cage with some bedding and food and water right in her face. A cage small enough that she doesn't have to go far for food or water and can't go far either. She needs to stay off her leg for a while. Some injuries and sprains can take weeks to heal. So keep her confined for a while. However I would do this within the flock because if she is gone too long from the flock, she will get horribly picked on when she comes back as they may have forgotten her. If they can see her, she will always be part of the flock.

You might also give her 1/2 of a baby asprin once a day. Not adult but baby asprin. Break a baby asprin in half. And then break the half in half and put these two pieces of asprin in 2 raisins. Do this once a day for a week or two to help with inflammation and pain.

Good luck and I hope she heals up soon!

Back
Top Bottom