What should I dose this Orpington with? New PIC on last post

Germaine_11.20

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
Idaho
Hi everybody,

I need advice on what I should dose my Orp girl with (or if I should)

33539_dscn7445.jpg

33539_dscn7446.jpg

I have been on vacation for two weeks and got back last week. I noticed my Orp girl wasn't moving alot and I thought it was a foot issue. Her right foot has a swollen toe (not really bad yet) but it is warmer than her other one.

But today I noticed some white goop in the corner of her eye. I have had her isolated for about 4 days. She doesn't want to walk around but she can--although not far.

Her feathers aren't ruffled, no bloody poop, no breathing issues.

I can't find any answers in the chicken health handbook, it is too vague.

I would appreciate all the advice you are willing to give. Medications, and dosages too.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone. I don't know what it is but I don't think it is just her eye or she would be up and about. I think that it might be the
Mycoplasma Sinoviae that MotherJean wrote about.

I will have to get some medicine tomorrow. She is eating fine. A little picky but she knows just where the corn is mixed in with the pellets. She just doesn't really want to move.

Her crop is fine and she is eating and drinking. She feels a little bony for an Orp but I was gone for two weeks and I don't know if she was picked on.

Initially I thought it might be bumblefoot (not that I would really know) but then the white in her eye came up today.

Thanks again for the input, I appreciate it!

Well after reading further I think it is Staphylococcosis, Staphylococcal Arthritis, Bumble Foot. The chickens have been under major stress while I was on vacation due to predators. I lost at least 30 birds.

They were free ranged during the day and that is when the coyote/fox came and picked them off. So chances are she was outside and cut her foot, and it became infected. That along with stress brings on Staphylococcosis, Staphylococcal Arthritis, Bumble Foot (at least that is my latest guess)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for writing! Well I decided to grab her and clean out the eye goop. But it isn't eye goop. I pulled the white thing out and just about freaked. I thought I had pulled part of her eye out but out came this hard white thing. I will take a pic when I find my camera.

I have the fire dept out at the house. Lightning caused a fire (burned over 100 acres so far) and I am having to cut a wet line through the brush. The fire trucks are here and I am trying to help without being in the way. If it isn't one thing it is another. Never dull here.

You said her feathers aren't ruffled but they look real ruffled in that picture. She's a beautiful hen and I'd almost think she was broody if I didn't know any better. It's odd that just the one eye had the goop in it, maybe it's not some bug but maybe secondary to something else. She's just gorgeous, good luck and keep us posted.

I am just guessing with the eye "gunk" but maybe she had something caught in her eye and could not scratch it out, her eye covered it with "gunk" and you were helpful in pulling it out?
idunno.gif

I sure hope she starts feeling better soon.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom