1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What should I expect?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ssteiner, Dec 7, 2008.

1. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    Hi friends,

Okay, so after a few missteps on our chicken startup, we've ended up with:
    1) Blue-laced Wyandotte
    2) Golden-laced Wyandotte
    3) Light Brahma
    4) Partridge Barred Rock

So for you experts out there, knowing this, once my girls start laying, about what should I expect per week in eggs. Thanks so much....

-Scott

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Here's a great chart you can use to get your answer:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Find your breeds and then follow the chart across to the right. You'll see representations of the eggs from that breed and the piles will be big or small, indicating the amount to expect from that breed.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So do you have 4 hens or 10 hens?

If you have 4 hens you'll get 1 or 2 a day when they are laying well.

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I have four hens, two have been laying for a couple months now, and one of the other two just started laying a few days ago. I still haven't figured out if both of the youngest hens are laying or not, but I have been getting 3 eggs a day for several days now. There will be days I will get 4 and days that I will get one.

5. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    Quote:I'm sorry, I meant to say I have one of each of the types I mentioned in my original post. So, I have four hens. It sounds like I should expect up to 14-15 eggs per week???

Wow!

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    What should you expect? You should expect to see some very pretty birds whenever you care look [​IMG]!

I've only had the Light Brahma on your list, a little slow off the starting line, that one. But, I really like the LB - especially the personality.

I have 4 hens, Black Australorps and Barred Rocks. This past week, there were 23 eggs [​IMG].

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by