What should I feed my 4 week old chicks.

Then I'd go with a feed that is around 16% to 18% protein with a calcium content of around 1%. You are not feeding them to be high producers, you just want them to be healthy. I don't now what is available where you are but here in the USA that might be called Grower, Starter, All Flock, Flock Raiser, or something else. The label on the feed bag should give you the percentage of these nutrients.

Until chicks are sixteen weeks or so, they should have feed always available during waking hours since they are growing fast and their rate of growth depends on getting enough to eat. Any chick starter or all flock feed from 18% to 20% protein is what you want. After they reach point of lay, then you can switch to layer feed or keep feeding all flock feed with oyster shell free choice.

@Ridgerunner I don't really know they are mainly just pets

Then feed "ad libitum" - meaning ensure there is feed available for them at all times (or at least, all waking times) and trust the birds to eat as much, or as little, as they think they need. Free feeding is the way most backyard owners manage their flocks. Its effective, and requires very little of the owner, except to keep the feeders clean and full.

Back
Top Bottom