What should I feed my 6 week old chicks

Guidos chickens

Hatching
May 7, 2021
I have 7 chicks and 7 hens. The chicks are coming off their chick feed and I don’t know if they can go straight to layer. My hens and chicks are separated at the moment, but they are going to share a large area with enough room for all of them. Would it be ok if I move the chicks to grower feed and switch my hens to grower as well?

I have 7 chicks and 7 hens. The chicks are coming off their chick feed and I don’t know if they can go straight to layer. My hens and chicks are separated at the moment, but they are going to share a large area with enough room for all of them. Would it be ok if I move the chicks to grower feed and switch my hens to grower as well?
If the grower offers 18-20% protein, then switch everybody over to that and leave them there. Just put out one or two separate containers filled with oyster shell for the active layers. This is an excellent way of managing your flocks feeding needs year-round. No matter where your flock dynamic is at any given time this is an appropriate feeding scheme.

If the grower offers 18-20% protein, then switch everybody over to that and leave them there. Just put out one or two separate containers filled with oyster shell for the active layers. This is an excellent way of managing your flocks feeding needs year-round. No matter where your flock dynamic is at any given time this is an appropriate feeding scheme.
X2

Even with an all layer flock, I would do this. Let them choose how much calcium they need.

You should probably swap the whole flock to a grower feed. Sense the chicks haven't started laying the extra calcium in layer feed can cause major liver problems. Just make sure to put oyster shells in a bowl for the laying hens! :)

Back
Top Bottom