What should I feed my baby hen

3 week old chickens should probably be on "Starter/Grower" feed. It's specifically made to give chicks the nutrients they need to grow into pullets. It can be fed from their hatch until they start laying (18-20 weeks), where they then can be fed "layer feed" made for laying hens.
I don't have feed

What is free range
Free ranging is when you don't confine your chickens to a run to walk around in all day. They're trained to come back to their coop at night, where you lock them in, and then let them out in the morning. When you free range your chickens, they eat a lot of bugs, plants, etc. so it can lower your feed cost.

The alternative is to build a run. The run keeps the chickens confined during the day. It's usually made with netting and directly attatched to the coop. It can be especially helpful if you're worried about predators.

Last edited:
Do you have a coop ready? Do you already have feeders and waterers for your chicks?

Since you said they're only 3 weeks old, they can't live in a coop, run, or free range yet. They need to be kept in a brooder first. This is a place where they can be frequently checked on and kept at the proper temperature. They can start going outside at 5-6 weeks old, or when they're fully feathered.

Back
Top Bottom