What should I feed my female Bobwhite 14wk old?

JKav

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 29, 2014
Long Island, NY
I'm so confused :rolleyes:

I have my 14wk old Bobwhite Omelette on egg feed crumble since hatch and she is doing great. Not exactly sure what it is called. This was my Dad's project with my daughter (ha!) so he purchased the feed. I also feed crickets as I catch them and mealworms daily, and broccoli, strawberries, etc as treats.

1. When should I switch her over to higher protein laying feed?

2. I can't seem to find purina layena online (only avail in stores). I can get chick feed. Would I need to add to it? Or is wild gamebird feed better?

3. When is it necessary to supplement with oyster grit? Is this not necessary with laying feeds that contain calcium?

4. Crumbles or pellets?

5. I see many feeds are sold in 50lb bags which is a lot for one quail. Would it last stored in cool dry place?

Sooo confused! Thanks for any help.

Ps I live in Long Island, NY and we don't have tractor and feed stores here.

Last edited:
You should give her normal egg laying chicken feed and treats too (always give out treats but not too much) . I would give that to them at 20 weeks as they will most likely lay at 22 weeks.

I'm curious ... do Bobwhites not need Gamebird Startena with the high protein content? I was advised that for my Gambel's and that's what he gets, as well as a bit of Dove/Quail mix, for his basic daily feed.

On the other hand, my Gambel's is a male, and JKav's Omelette is a female Bob, so I know she would need feed that nurtures egg-laying. Is it the fact she is female that Gamebird Startena is not needed?

I'm so confused
roll.png

I have my 14wk old Bobwhite Omelette on egg feed crumble since hatch and she is doing great. Not exactly sure what it is called. This was my Dad's project with my daughter (ha!) so he purchased the feed. I also feed crickets as I catch them and mealworms daily, and broccoli, strawberries, etc as treats.

1. When should I switch her over to higher protein laying feed?
30% chick starter for the first 4-8 weeks then switch to either 24% layer or 19% flight conditioner. If you can't find 24% just mix one bag of starter with one bag of flight conditioner.
If you can't find purina try mannapro or dumor brands. If you can't get chick starter feed them 26-28% turkey starter. If you give them chicken starter they will not grow to their full potential.

3. When is it necessary to supplement with oyster grit? Is this not necessary with laying feeds that contain calcium?
Crumbles are best. pellets you have to crush and that usually generates a lot of powder which is bad for the birds respiratory system when they ingest it.

5. I see many feeds are sold in 50lb bags which is a lot for one quail. Would it last stored in cool dry place?
Buy a quality trash can with a lid that seals well and keep it in a cool dry place and it will keep well.

Sooo confused! Thanks for any help.

Ps I live in Long Island, NY and we don't have tractor and feed stores here.

Thank you all.
Advocat, I think that is basically what she is getting now. If I understand correctly, they should only be on the high protein starter feed
for the first 8 or so weeks. I have also read that it is ok up to 16 wks?

I finally found some I can have shipped here. It only has 16% protein, so would it be ok mixed with the starter feed she is on now?
And later I can add oyster grit or use it as substrate. Would this work?

Last edited:
Chicken feeds aside from being too low in protein are too high in calcium for quail roosters. Their bodies can't process the calcium and it builds up in their kidneys. Mixed with starter the protein would probably be sufficient and if you aren't running any roosters you can probably get by like that.

Thanks, everyone. Oh and she's a she.

I keep reading on here that everyone loves Purina Gamebird Layena.
Purina Mills website says it is 20% protein.
Isn't that too low?
Haven't found a source here yet (unless I pay $50+ shipping! Uh, no)

I did find Manna Pro Gamebird/Showbird feed 24% for about $9.50 for a 5lb bag. That's a bit pricey.

I buy two bags at a time one starter and one flight conditioner. Then I just mix them in a clean garbage cans I have for feed. Obviously 24% would be better but 20% is sufficient to maintain quail on and keep them healthy.

Make sure you're feeding digestive grit. Gamebird food is water soluble so that is the only thing they can eat that doesnt require them to be fed additional grit. Once you add to their diet they have to have grit.

Back
Top Bottom