What should I feed quail? I want nongmo feed so no corn or soy.

thoeffel1994

Songster
11 Years
Feb 14, 2013
I was thinking about getting quail but was wondering what I should feed them. I want nongmo feed. Is there like a homemade recipe for feed that is affordable?

I don't have any answers for you but I too am interested in what the replies will be. I'd like to be self-sufficient & even make my own feeds if possible due to certain intolerances (soy, corn). Esp for chick starter feeds. Though I wouldn't mind finding any brand names to start of with.

I'm also looking at alternative feed for my quail. I came across Harrison's formulas, which appear to have an organic base of ingredients with added supplements. Their mash and fine formulas are 20% protein. If I add egg crumble and live crickets or dried blood worms, it looks like it may be a good option. I posted an inquiry about this in an earlier thread. I will be picking up some today from our local animal hospital, and can let you know how it works for my button quail....

http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/High-Potency-Formulas/departments/2/

Feed the maize and food that they could find in the wild. Vegetables and fruit are also good to keep them health and meal worms but if your going to buy a store food make sure it has plenty of protein

I would be wary of anything that's "non GMO".

I've personally tested about 150 different products labelled "non GMO" and only about 20% of them actually didnt contain GMO's.
Also it's not only corn and soy, but wheat, sugar, oils, even some fruit. Plums have been genetically modified since 1994.

Also, food labelled "organic" can contain GMO's. To get the USDA certificate of "organic", it must not contain any pesticides or chemicals.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_certification

There is no mention of no-GMO related product.
Also if you grow corn that is non GMO, a good percentage of your corn WILL be GMO because of the way corn pollinates through the air. It's ubiquitous.

There is also no way to tell the difference between a batch of corn that /is/ GMO and which isnt GMO without extensive genetic testing. Where a company may buy from a non-gmo source that had part of their stock tested, another part of his field may be infected.

It's all a big bunch of madness.

I would be wary of anything that's "non GMO".

I've personally tested about 150 different products labelled "non GMO" and only about 20% of them actually didnt contain GMO's.
Also it's not only corn and soy, but wheat, sugar, oils, even some fruit. Plums have been genetically modified since 1994.

Also, food labelled "organic" can contain GMO's. To get the USDA certificate of "organic", it must not contain any pesticides or chemicals.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_certification

There is no mention of no-GMO related product.
Also if you grow corn that is non GMO, a good percentage of your corn WILL be GMO because of the way corn pollinates through the air. It's ubiquitous.

There is also no way to tell the difference between a batch of corn that /is/ GMO and which isnt GMO without extensive genetic testing. Where a company may buy from a non-gmo source that had part of their stock tested, another part of his field may be infected.

It's all a big bunch of madness.

Your post is sobering, as well as depressing. I've been wondering how I will be able to label my quail & their eggs as organic when the food I give them may unknowingly (to me) not even be. It's so challenging when everywhere around us there's toxins leeching our way (whether in the soil or in the basket). :(

Genetically Modified Organism can mean several things.For instance, if I grow two varieties of open pollinated, heirloom corn, yes, they will cross pollinate and technically be GM, BUT the scary stuff like Monsteranto and others do is TRUE genetic modification since they are actually splicing unrelated species into the genes and the cells of the seeds. Bt would NEVER in nature become part of the gene pool of a plant since is is a different organism. Antibiotics would NEVER naturally integrate into rice grains..this is frankenscience. THIS is the GMO stuff to be concerned with, not naturally occurring cross pollination-unless you are a certified organic grower who has the misfortune of being near a field that is growing frankenfood and THEIR crop cross pollinates with YOUR crop. There is a ton of information available about Monsteranto going after small family farms and bullying them out of business, and recently, the tables have been turning where the organic producers are fighting back and WINNING saying that Monsteranto's crop ruined THEIR crop.

SO, you can buy certified organic grain. MOST reputable producers will not knowingly buy seed from any GMO-frankenfood grower.

Countryside organics out of Waynesboro, VA has superior feeds and gardening supplies, I have been buying from them for years, Their customer service is outstanding! If you can afford it, it is worth ordering up to 3000 lbs because then you get "pallet rate" which is WAY cheaper than UPS ($118 for UP TO 3000lbs), delivered by 18 wheeler. I give explicit instructions that I will meet the driver where a convenient stop is, usually a place that has a fork lift they don't mind me borrowing.

Their turkey feed is 23% protein and is suitable for Quail.

I do NOT work for them, just believe in sharing a good source.

Hope this helps.

Megan in TN

That's a really good thing the small farmers are now able to fight back! I've been out of the biotech field for about 3 years now, and that field grows SO FAST. Literally one month I would be studying an unknown gene sequence and the next month there would be three fresh new papers written on it. We even had such a hard time keeping up with the machinery.

:p now I'm an artist working at hippie commune... oh biotech, why you so scary?

As it becomes cheaper to test crops for GMO cross-pollination the true percentages of "non GMO" food can be calculated and over time will become more "pure". That's what I hope will happen anyway. It's funny to me.. fighting biotech with biotech.

I'm sorry but I have to correct one point. Food labeled as "USDA organic" cannot have GMO ingredients. While I am completely opposed to genetically modified food in all forms, the organic label is useful for this purpose.

Here is a helpful powerpoint from USDA website to explain this in more detail.
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRDC5096493&acct=nopgeninfo

Basically, if a producer has taken all reasonable steps to keep GMOs out, it can receive the USDA organic label.

Some crops like corn cross-pollinate so widely that it is almost impossible today to find non-GMO corn due to pollen drift. In cases like this, the producer must take "reasonable steps" to avoid cross-contamination.

I think as long as we are trying to keep the GMs out of our food as much as possible, that is the best we can hope for at this point in time. Congress is bought and sold by Monsanto and I think we have little hope of getting a bill against GMs or for GM labeling through.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom